Where to get flat rocks that can be lifted?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Where does everyone get the beautiful rock around the ponds?

The only place I know of has only very limited loose stones. I have purchased the rocks I can lift myself from the garden centre recently, but most of the rocks in big sections I cannot lift. I bought Silver Mist rocks and Rose __________. ( I forget the name. ). They are beautiful, but few are the shape I want. I will use the rest around a flower bed planted for butterflies and bees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I would look for a garden center that also has pond supplies. They should have a better selection for around a pond. A lot of people use slate because it is safe for your fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Thanks for the replies. I should have thought of slate! I have seen it around ponds. I hope the garden centre where I got the other rocks has the slate on sale today, too. It's the last day of the big year end sale. I need fall/spring koi feed, too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have rock yards here that supply all types of rock, brick, stone, etc. Generally you buy by the pallet - so no choosing individual stones - and have it delivered to the site, but they also have bins of odds and ends that you can pick through if you are looking for particular shapes or sizes. One of my favorite places to "window shop"!

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I found mine in the creek but if you don't have access to one you can also look for an excavation going on somewhere and just ask if they have any and they will gladly let you haul them away so they dont have to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
I have borrowed a fair number of rocks from creeks, too, but they are are not nice and flat. They are really pretty and look very nice around my flowers.

I never thought about looking around an excavation site. Hmmmm.

Unfortunately, we are not in the country, so that option is out.

Thanks for the ideas!

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Borrow?
Do you leave an I.O.U.?:p
LOL I personally look for and if possible just tell the first fish I see to let the owner of the creek know I am borrowing some rocks... I am sure he will let them know.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Where does everyone get the beautiful rock around the ponds?

The only place I know of has only very limited loose stones. I have purchased the rocks I can lift myself from the garden centre recently, but most of the rocks in big sections I cannot lift. I bought Silver Mist rocks and Rose __________. ( I forget the name. ). They are beautiful, but few are the shape I want. I will use the rest around a flower bed planted for butterflies and bees.
I forgot to mention that I pressure wash and polish all the rocks I put in the bottom of my pond to bring out all the color and patterns on them. If the rocks are too big to lift you can get a small hammer and tap the rock along a line where you want it to break and after a little tapping it will crack along the line you made. Also by breaking the rock you expose some beautiful patterns on the inside and you will be the first human to have ever seen that part of the rock too ;)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yeh I got some from a new development here and also some of the farmers here put them out by the road and put a sign on them free .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I get mine from the Quarry. They have any type of rock you can think of....for pretty cheap. Also, you can shape them however you like with a hammer and chisel. I used to excavate, so i brought a fair amount of large rocks home that i dug up also. But when looking for particular types of stone...hit the local Quarry.

Last edited:

Ask a Question