where to get pond plants

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi I am in Kingston Ontario Canada and we are zone 6a, there is only one store in town that sells pond plants and there's are in yet does anyone know of another place that is near here that sells a variety on plants, I have water lilies and a water hyacinth, looking for some marginals and one with lots of colour and that are hardy, I can bring them in during winter if necessary. Thanks ron

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just received plants in excellent condition well packed and shipped as well as the quantity was equally sweet from playitkoi.com

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Is it possible for you to buy online? There many online retailers of plants and they won't ship your order until the weather in your area is safe.

Note that some plants labeled as pond plants or bog plants can actually be bought at regular nurseries and for much cheaper.
Today we were at a nursery that has a special section for "pond plants". I was looking at a sedge for the bog, it was $14.99 (U.S.). My wife said a local nursery near our home sells the very same plant for $3.95! The same with those umbrella and papyrus plants. Way over priced compared to our local regular (non-pond) nursery.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I got stuff you wont find at a box store

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I get all of my plants online. It’s been a while since I ordered any, but I recall Tricker and Pondmegastore were 2 that I used.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Also, I always tell people to check regular nurseries. LOTS of plants will grow in a pond that aren't necessary advertised as "pond plants". I make a point of asking just so I can educate them. "No pond plants? Oh wait... you have papyrus, and corkscrew rush, and look at all these lovely sedges... they will grow great in my pond!" Always spreading the word about PONDING!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have seen more than once where a garden center also deals in ponds and will sell the same plants in both sections yet, the pond plants are higher priced. I am guessing this is due to them dedicating valuable space (and time) to present these plants in a bog environment so perhaps this is explains the higher price. But as Lisa above stated, look around and you will often find pond plants throughout a garden center.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
you will often find pond plants throughout a garden center.

I always just read plant tags and look for things that like wet or boggy soil conditions. Elephant ears (taro plants), canna lilies, obedient plant, Joe-pye weed, cardinal flower (lobelia)... lots of things cross over into pond growth.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I always just read plant tags and look for things that like wet or boggy soil conditions. Elephant ears (taro plants), canna lilies, obedient plant, Joe-pye weed, cardinal flower (lobelia)... lots of things cross over into pond growth.
Agree! Somewhere, at sometime I found a plant website (garden-oriented, not pond-oriented) that listed almost any plant you could ask for. It gave every fact you could want, including the amount of “water” the plant liked best. I sure wish I had bookmarked that site — it was fascinating!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just received plants in excellent condition well packed and shipped as well as the quantity was equally sweet from playitkoi.com

Thanks for this! I just placed an order with them, can’t wait for the shipment to arrive.

Dbarr1575

Good with aquariums, new to ponds
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Also, I always tell people to check regular nurseries. LOTS of plants will grow in a pond that aren't necessary advertised as "pond plants". I make a point of asking just so I can educate them. "No pond plants? Oh wait... you have papyrus, and corkscrew rush, and look at all these lovely sedges... they will grow great in my pond!" Always spreading the word about PONDING!

That is great information, is there a list of plants that will grow well in a pond?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Obediant plant
black gamecock iris
dwarf golden sweetflag
dwarf cattails
parrots feather
varigated snow flake-lily like plant needs to be planted about 14" under water surface.
Water Willow
green creeping Jenny
Marsh betony

4 leaf water clover
fuzzy 4 leaf water clover
mini spearwort
white star grass
penny wort
water mint
blue water forget me not
water iris soft pink\kirk strawn
4 left water clover variegated
American Crinium-hardy
butterfly ginger-hardy
carolina Bacopa
lizards tail
red stem parrots feather

Wetland or bog filters are best constructed in an up flow design which reduces clogging and facilitates easy cleaning. Bio-Mass is key ~ A pound of bog is required to prevent a pound of algae. Plants should be selected that actively grow at different times, that root to different depths and that have different plant structures.

Excellent Plants for the Bog may include:

Arrowhead Sagitaria (zone 4-6) Summer Bloomer. Bulbing root system stores(nitrogen, potassium & phosphorous)

Canna (zone 8-10) Summer Bloomer. A bog’s best friend. This plant is a biomass factory and has amazing beauty and structure. A heavy feeder on (nitrogen, potassium & phosphorous) from April through September.

Cattails (zone 3-5) Summer Bloomer. are vigorous growers and have deep roots.

Creeping Jenny (zone 5) Spring Bloomer.

Daylily - Spring through Summer Bloomer. Surprisingly, water is the best fertilizer for daylilies. They are an excellent nutrient feeder and grow well in the shallow areas of a bog garden. Daylily come in a variety of colors and blooming times for a long lasting color in your garden.

Eyed Grass (Yellow & Blue) (zones 5-7) Spring Bloomer.

Iris - (zones 4-6) Summer Bloomers.
Common water iris. (Louisiana Iris) Great variety in colors and styles. Plant habit is spreading and untidy appearance.
Japanese variegated water iris is a strong grower late spring through fall. Iris are good at removing both nitrogen and phosphorous.
Siberian Iris are preferred for their strong, clumping habit. Most growth spring and summer but use potassium and phosphorous in summer and fall for energy storage for next year’s bloom.

Kaffir Lily (zone 7) Fall Bloomer. A bulbing lily with watermelon red flowers. Grows in cooler temps of spring and fall. Small top growth controlled.

Lobelia Cardinalis (zones 5-7) Fall Bloomer. Beautiful late summer bloom. Nice color diversity. Heavy potassium user.

Marsh Marigold (zones 2-4) Spring Bloomer. A fast growing cool temperature plant. Begins growing very early in spring producing flowers by early March and continues through April, often re-blooms in the fall when weather cools. Medium root depth and actively feeds when most plants are dormant.

Pickerel Rush (zone 3-6) Summer Bloomer. Strong summer growth and bloom. A spreading habit with a shallow root system. A strong feeder on the total nutrient system. Blue Pickerel Rush is very hardy in our area, with a long bloom season.

Rain Lily (zone 6) Fall Bloomer. Late summer and fall grower. This bulb plant has a small controlled top growth but a dense vigorous root system with storage bulbs. Strong user of phosphorous and potassium.

Rush - Variegated Striped Rush (zone 5-6) Summer Bloomer. Evergreen and continues to grow almost year-round strongest growth in summer. Roots are shallow and need oxygen. Open habit allows for under story growth.but has a large vigorous root system feeding its bulbs. Very

Slough Sedge (zone 4) Very prolific, yet clumping. Grows to 5’ high in bogs. Deep rooting habit. Bio-mass. Strong user of potassium, sulfur, calcium and sodium. Somewhat salt resistant.

Society Garlic (zone 7) Summer Bloomer. Strong summer growth. Love phosphorous.

Star Grass (zone 7) Summer Bloomer. Very controlled, medium root depth, summer fall growth. Grasses are strong feeders of potassium and sulfur.

Thalia (zone 6) Summer Bloomer. Very deep rooted. Open stem structure allows for very diverse under story growth. Summer blooming. Large storage roots.

Water Forget-Me-Not (zone 3) Spring Bloomer. Vigorous low grower. Shallow rooted. Easily pruned. Blooms from March through October.

Yellow Monkey Flower (zone 6) Spring Bloomer. Early spring growth and bloom. Deep root system.

Ask a Question