Where to locate stream-return, as well as airstones & spitter for best water circulation

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Our pond has several levels -- it's a long story. In the drawing, you can see where the pump is located and where the water will return from the main bog (right now, we're still using the SKIPPY, but bog is in the works).

There is a secondary, smaller bog for the turtles that will run off the same pump, and return to the pond via a stream. We're not up to the point yet of having the stream mapped out, so was wondering where would be the best location for it (the return) along the upper edge area (where the red question mark is on the drawing): left side, middle, right side?? Thinking in terms of optimum water circulation.

Also, will have a spitter with a smaller pump, as well as a couple of air stones. Same question as to the best placement for them....

image.jpg

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yes, just like that. It will cause a circulation in the pond which is not only good to help the fish exercise, but it will also help in directing the waste toward the center 4' area which makes cleaning a little easier.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
TM I put my skimmer at the predominate downwind side of the pond. Between the bog water fall, wind, and skimmer the water tends to circulate nicely.

Reaction score
Turtle Mommy and everyone else who posted,

I am not sure I am right on my vision or not, so please don't take it the wrong way if I disagree with your assesment and ideas on this design.

My gut instinct based upon the depth of this pond in various areas and some information that I have read or observed leads me to believe that two areas of this pond are going to be "slow" areas of water movement and possibly not desirable conditions.

Using a clock face to describe the pond areas, I see the 9 - 11 O'Clock area and the 5 - 7 O-Clock area as having the least water movement as per flowing current.

Because the pond shape as drawn is oval in a lengthwise axis, I would design both returns to the pond on the right hand side of the diagram. The large bog re-entry point is fine, but the small bog re-entry point and stream should be nearer to the 10 O'Clock position.

The outlets or offtake water points should simply be at the opposite end of the pond where the pump is shown. However, I might personally wish to have two pumps. One being a skimmer located more towards the 2 - 4 O'Clock position and one being a bottom or low draft pump right near the 6 - O'Clock position where the water is deepest in the pond.

My logic is that the inlets should be set as near as possible on the opposite end of the longest axis of the water structure from the outlets. However, if you need to create a circular flow around the contuour of the pond, then you need to do nearly the same, but adjust the "angle of attack" of each input stream (direction of flow) to get the water current to swirl the direction you want it to.

I don't know if I am making sense to you or if you can envision what I see in the water currents, but I wanted to try.

You either have to have the current flow go directly across the long width of the pond to the other and take it up for the return or you have to direct it to the deepest area and take it up from there or a combination of both in order to keep the entire pond flowing.

Gordy

Ask a Question