where to start? what is next?

Reaction score
So my husband and I put the hand me down used pond in the ground yesterday, filled it up and turned on the filter/fountain pump. What is next? We tried scrubbing the old "gunk" off the edges but a lot of it refused to break loose. So when we filled the pond with water it was not ...clear or clean looking. Will the water settle and turn clear? What do we do next? We are in the process of placing the rocks around the edge and disguising the rim with moss and plants. How long should we wait to start adding plants, the local pond store employee told us to wait about 3 weeks and add about 12-15 feeder fish to "season" the pond. What is a good cheap filter for our small pond? How can we protect out pond from possums and crows? Any ideas? Links to good sites about ponds?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
first get some beneficial bacteria and some dechlorinator. add the dechlorinator, give it a day to be safe then add the beneficial bacteria. pour the bacteria right in the filter if you like, thats where you want it to colonize. is your filter just the little thing that sits in the pond? if it is you can use it for a while, but build youself an external biofilter, size will be according to your pond size... for a small up to 150 gallon pond, a small rubbermaid tote,5 gallon bucket, or flower pot may work. do you plan on a waterfall? then a 10 to 15 gallon tote would be great. these are all things to consider. there are skippy filter plans in 55 gallon drum size, and 70 gallon stock tank styles here in this forum. the principles are the same,just reduce them down to the size you build. remember there is no such thing as to much filter. did your clean the filter and fountain head(s)? if not clean them [NO SOAP OR CHEMICALS] before you start. then you can add a few fish, and plants. you can add them the day after dechlorination.

Ask a Question