WHICH AIR PUMPS DO YOU GUYS USE?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know I've asked this before, but can't find it, so.....

1. What brands, types, and sizes of air pumps (for pond aeration) do you use?

2. What should I look for when choosing an air pump?

3. Is there anything in particular to be cautious of or stay away from (brands, etc.)?

4. What are some ways you keep your pumps protected from the elements?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
A better question is how much air do you need or want. Your original question covers a lot of ground. I expect you are only interested in hearing from people with similar needs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I use three one is my reserve pump an old Airtec 40 a really reliable old work horseof a pump, then two of the newer Airtec's the 40e which I really dont rate as good as the older metalic covered model the 40e's are all plastic with more expensive diaphrams once these give in I'll go for a slightly cheaper air pump of which there are many .
I do have a blagdon 150 or so I've been led to believe for use on the QT setup we have this is because I dont want to leave the others open to the elements as this will be sat out in the open .
To protect them I just took a large plastic stowage container ditched the lid and used the container to protect our airpumps whilst we were doing the build it did the treat but put a brrick over the top to stop it blowing off in wind it also has to be off the ground togive airflow underneath

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
I'm not putting words into TM, but .....

I am considering an air pump for summer time, to help keep oxygen in the water, and side benefit to keep it cooler. And, to compensate for inadequate water pump circulation on one side of the pond. If I had a skimmer, I would probably put the airstones a skimmer. Or something like that. Maybe.

Oh, and an air pump is cheaper to run than a water pump. And my circulation this summer is not ideal. Mistakes and all that ....

At any rate ....

I've gotten some good reports on this pump from Aquatic Eco. It is a no name Chinese made pump, but it is reported to be quiet, and efficient. And the diaphragms are replaceable. Get it with plenty of extra diaphragms I figure.

So, as much as I try to buy North American grown & made, I'm looking at this one.

It is rated for outdoor use, but I will probably stick one under an overturned flower pot or some such.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got mine from air max
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:46396]

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Gosh, all, good points! Guessing what I want is something to help oxygenate the water and help keep a current, as well as cool things off (summer). When I "shop" I get confused by the various sizes and amounts (volume?) of air they produce. Seems like some are more suited for aquariums, yet some sound like they'd blow my little pond off the map :). There are the "deep water" ones [but how deep is deep?].

My pond is around 3000 gal, 4' at it's deepest, but prob. averages 2 1/2' - 3'. Have the "waterfall" from the SKIPPY (which is water returning via a 2" PVC pipe, with a sideways cut-out) with about a 2' drop, air from the OASE SWIMSKIM, a spitter, and last but not least, the flow from the turtle bog(s) via the false floor. Was thinking that I'd like to add more movement underneath the turtle area.

I recently did a draw-down 'cause I wanted to see what that underneath area was doing. I had fears that it had become a "dead space," and that I was going to find the little bodies of all the fish that have disappeared over the past year. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that there really was a nice current and flow coming from the turtle-bogs above. Plus, I designed that part of the pond on a slant, hoping that crud wouldn't settle there, but flow into the main part. It was the cleanest part of the pond :). Happy Dance! I actually did something RIGHT! But I still think that would be a good place to add air. It just bothers me that there is "an up under there" that I can't see what's going on.

So......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
Have you thought about diverting a small hose from your pump (unfiltered) and popping a venturi in to add "free air", using your existing pumped water. (I'll admit, I mostly think venturi's are cool...and free)

And to whom ever said "As free as the air we breath" clearly hasn't bought a bag of chips from a vending machine lately! :rolleyes:

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Here I am picking nits again:

A venturi may operate at no additional cost but it does not operate for free. It takes power to pull the air in. To get the air you give up some water flow. I don't know how much. Next time somebody works with a venturi he/she/it should give it a flow test with and without.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had 3 pumps I bought from harbor freight that had that part included , one was a 1250 gph and it did work but went to a bigger pump and it could not use the part .My neighbor likes it since I gave her the pump and parts and that pump is 5 years old and still works great .Had to ask on here since i was not sure what the parts were that I was getting with there pumps .Every pump came with it .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:39001]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:33990]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:33991]

Reaction score
Do we have a calculator anywhere for what size of pump and number of stones (or GPM/H) we should be shooting for?

My pond is about 2300-2600 Gal, 3.5-5' deep, 4' wide and about 14' long. I don't have any air right now and am thing to figure out if I should get a PondAir2 or PondAir4 or the likes.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Video of replacing the diaphrams on pond air 2 and 4. The 4 is really 2 2's in one package. Two 2's would be better because you could put them on different electrical circuits. But 4 is cheaper then 2 2's.

Looks like a decent unit. No idea about how much air it puts out but the diaphragms look to be decent sized.

Reaction score
Ok, help me out.
I'm looking at two options that have been mentioned here recently.
1. AQUASCAPE POND AIR 4
I found some specs on this listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AQUASCAPE-P...-4-KOI-POND-AERATION-PUMP-75001-/221117900468
Max Air Flow Rate (Loaded)- 3500 cc/min. x 4
That means 14000 cc/min, right?
2. Pondmaster Air Pump AP-20
Specs listed here: http://www.pondmasterstore.com/home/pm1/page_189_58/pondmaster_air_pump_ap-20.html

Air volume: 1700 cu.in/min
1 cubic inch = 16.387064 cubic centimeters
Calculated at 27846 cc/min

So is AP-20 basically 2 times more powerful? And if so, than it would be too large for my pond that I listed above, right?
Also, looks like the power usage would support that as the difference between the two is about half (11W vs. 20W).

Are there any small air pumps (kits) that allow for adjustable output? If I go with 2 stones during summer time, one in shallower part and another in the deep end, I would like to turn off the deep end in the winter to preserve the thermal mass)

Reaction score
HTH said:
Video of replacing the diaphrams on pond air 2 and 4. The 4 is really 2 2's in one package. Two 2's would be better because you could put them on different electrical circuits. But 4 is cheaper then 2 2's.

Looks like a decent unit. No idea about how much air it puts out but the diaphragms look to be decent sized.
I saw that, looks pretty simple.

Ask a Question