Which birds are these ? Egret heron or Cranes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
They land in a pond behind our house time to time , i have hunch they can be cranes since egret heron dont hunt in flock ?

DSC00300 (3).JPG
DSC00300 (2).JPG
DSC00300.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They land in a pond behind our house time to time , i have hunch they can be cranes since egret heron dont hunt in flock ?

Watch them fly, cranes fly with their neck stretched out, herons with their neck curled.

I see some in the pictures, with their necks curled for hunting, I would think egrets vs cranes. We see flocks of them in Maryland over on the eastern shore.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
i have hunch they can be cranes since egret heron don't hunt in flock ?

Those are Egrets. Probably Great Egrets. Very cool sight!

Both Egrets and Herons can absolutely be seen in groups. Egrets and Herons will even group together with each other. I've noticed that particularly during migration season. I've seen them in huge groups at the Horicon Marsh, as well as about 15-20 Great Blue Herons, Green Herons, Great Egrets, and even a Cattle Egret in a pond in the woods behind my house a few years back.

Evil things. Fish banes and pond disasters.

No, not really. Egrets and Cranes aren't a problem for garden ponds. I'm sure in very, very rare cases they have been, but it's really only herons that are an issue, but they aren't evil, just trying to survive.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have never seen a Egret here at my pond, I think they hang out eastern shore are. Herons they love us, so it is my job to protect the pond.

Love seeing them, they are beautiful birds, just not fishing in my pond.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have never seen a Egret here at my pond, I think they hang out eastern shore are. Herons they love us, so it is my job to protect the pond.

Love seeing them, they are beautiful birds, just not fishing in my pond.

Herons have a thing for small garden ponds. Luckily, Egrets and Cranes prefer natural wetlands.

Ask a Question