Which bog plants?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is a 2-part question regarding your choices for favorite bog plants.

IF YOU COULD ONLY CHOOSE......

2 or 3 bog plants based on

PART ONE -- Best function as a "filtering machine"

and

PART TWO -- Most attractive

What plants would you place in each category?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Filtering machine: Blue Arrows Rush. Massive root system.
DSCN5062.png

Attractive: Horsetail Rush. There are many kinds and some can be invasive. Mine was sold by EZPond, and it does spread little by little but is easy to rip out and maintain.
DSCN6967.png

Another attractive plant is Blue Flag Iris,
DSCN5414.png

and if my Golden Queen Globeflower grows well in the bog, I would definitely add that to the list of both attractive and a filtering machine, because when I dug it out of the ground, its root ball looked like a filter itself.
DSCN5640.png

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@JBtheExplorer Wow, I like that Golden Queen Globe flower! Never heard of it, so did some reading. It is native to places like Wales, and apparently likes slightly milder climates (zone 7). I'm in zone 8, which might be a little warm. But that doesn't mean I can't buy one to try out!

@fishin4cars @addy1 and anyone else who has bogs -- can't off the top of my head recall all y'all's names -- ["all y'all" is plural for "y'all," just in case you guys from the north didn't know.... :)]

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@JBtheExplorer Wow, I like that Golden Queen Globe flower! Never heard of it, so did some reading. It is native to places like Wales, and apparently likes slightly milder climates (zone 7). I'm in zone 8, which might be a little warm. But that doesn't mean I can't buy one to try out!

My specific kind is Trollius chinensis Goldkonigin, and apparently comes from Asia. I've read a lot of different things online about it but most say its good up to zone 8 or 9, so it should work for you. This is my first year trying it in the bog after reading that it does good in bogs so if it does, it's really going to be a great addition. The flowers are nice and bright but the leaves are equally as interesting.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@JBtheExplorer Where did you get yours? I just completed a web search and had trouble finding anyone who sells it. Finally, through, I think it's Dave's Garden, I found a few vendors, but only one did online sales. I ordered from a place in VA, and it's called T.c. "golden queen." May be a different variety than the one you have, but they did list it as growing in zone 8. I'm excited about trying something new! Thanks -- we can compare notes as far as its bog-hardiness!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@JBtheExplorer Where did you get yours? I just completed a web search and had trouble finding anyone who sells it. Finally, through, I think it's Dave's Garden, I found a few vendors, but only one did online sales. I ordered from a place in VA, and it's called T.c. "golden queen." May be a different variety than the one you have, but they did list it as growing in zone 8. I'm excited about trying something new! Thanks -- we can compare notes as far as its bog-hardiness!

I got mine from Menards. Don't know if you have any down by you but its a Home Depot or Lowes-type store. Just one of those things where I was walking around and the tag caught my eye, partially because of the flowers, and partially because it was on clearance for the end of the season. It was tiny at the time but I figured, eh, it'll probably grow and flower next year... and it did!

I remember seeing listed on Dave's Garden. The photos posted make me think that if it's not the exact same type, its close enough, basically the same!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This is a 2-part question regarding your choices for favorite bog plants.

IF YOU COULD ONLY CHOOSE......

2 or 3 bog plants based on

PART ONE -- Best function as a "filtering machine"

and

PART TWO -- Most attractive

What plants would you place in each category?

Filtering ---- Any specie of Rush or Reed.

Attractiveness----any Water tolerant Iris

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Trollius may grow in some Zone 8 locations, but the Deep South is not one of them. It can not handle the heat and humidity.

My zone 6 fern wasn't supposed to return last year but even after one of the worst winters we ever had, sure enough it did. You just never know. I'd even suggest that if it grows well in a bog, that could possibly increase its chance of survival in hot weather.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'm a fan of Taros, Black magic, Mickey mouse, Nancy's revenge, sour mojito, and standard mojito being some of my favorites. No flowers to speak of but so many variations of leaves that contrats aginst each other very well, although invasive not as bad as some plants I have tried.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@JBtheExplorer My globe flower came today. I was very impressed with the company I ordered it from. Before they shipped it, they sent very detailed instructions on how to care for it once it arrived [hardening off, etc.]. So it shows up in this tall box with a stake in the pot -- which I assume is to keep the potted plant stable inside the box. Now, I can't wait to get it into the turtle bog (for the time being)!

That's my cat, Koda, whose head is checking the box out! [anyone who has a cat will understand.... :) ] Good for a size reference.
image.jpg

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I have Acorus calamus (sweet flag), marsh marigold, pitcher plants, typical stuff... but really like the sweet flag, smells really nice and can be used to make sweeper/broom once pruned.

Ask a Question