Which filter do I need?

MMMxxxanaxxx

Banned
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just sealed and painted my pond and am ready to get a filter and get everything set up. I have never set up a pond before so I don't really know what I'm doing.

My plan is to get this filter http://cgi.ebay.com/7000GAL13watts-...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50 and bury it up to the lid at the top of the pond like right behind the 3 palm trees. That part of the pond is elevated so it will be pretty easy I think. I want to have a few fish and turtles in the pond. Do you guys think the filter will work for what I need? I want to make a waterfall too eventually. Any input helps, let me know what you think...Thnx:icon_mrgreen:

Attachments

• GEDC0196.JPG
    GEDC0196.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 262
  • GEDC0202.JPG
    GEDC0202.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 232

Camper Man

Pond Curator
Reaction score
That's a nice-looking pond, and a good size, too. Have you calculated how many gallons your pond will hold?

Plumbed with 1 1/2" or 1 3/4" tubing, the filter should pass enough volume to run a nice waterfall. Depending on where the water level will be (hard to estimate in the current photograph), you will also need a pump of sufficient capacity to push the water up the necessary head-height, which looks to be four or five feet. I love the white finish. Is the construction gunnite or concrete?

MMMxxxanaxxx

Banned
Reaction score
Alright, so I went to a local pond place and talked to the guy that works there. He said not to bother with a filter unless I want koi and to just get a few plants and the pond should be fine. He also said that you can't have a white pond becasue the algae will make it look gross so I bought some pond epoxy stuff and just painted the pond black below the waterline. He said I need to let the pond grow some algae and balance out for 45 days and then I can put some goldfish and turtles in there. I think I'm going to put all the rocks on the side in on the left side of the pond and kind of make a little island/bank thing for the turtles to get up on. I'm going to let the paint dry for the next few days and then go ahead and do this and fill it up and wait my 45 days. Just wanted to give you guys an update.

Attachments

• GEDC0227.JPG
    GEDC0227.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 242
  • GEDC0228.JPG
    GEDC0228.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 262

Ask a Question