Which filter should I choose?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm new to the forum. Just need a bit of advice. Am upsizing my pond to a 3000 litre pond and wanted some advice on which make of and sized filter I should get. Any help much appreciated

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome.

What is in your pond and how much do you like to do maintenance?
(some people find maintenance relaxing and some people want nothing to do with it)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have 3 medium sized koi, a green tench quite large and 5 medium sized goldfish, not worried about maintenance, but like most of us, obviously the less the better

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
That is a heavy fish load for what size pond you are considering.
I'm guessing that you are in Europe, so cold winters won't necessarily be an issue.
You should probably be considering a bottom drain with mechanical filtration.
We have another member here located in the UK, Dave54, that has an above ground pond and uses such a set up. Hopefully he will see this thread and can recommend some good local suppliers for you.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok thanks. I didn't think I had that many fish in my pond. The goldfish are not that big, would this be a problem? Wouldn't I just need a bigger filter? I live in the south of England

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I wasn't thinking so much about the goldfish, I was looking at the size that the koi and the green tench could get to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Wazza where in the UK are you from , we live in Plymouth Devon ?
What do you want to keep in your pond goldfish or koi ?
You can visit koi dealership sites to give you an idea of what you are looking for but much will depend on how much you wish to spend and how deep your pockets are .
However the first filter to come to mind is the Evolution Aqua Nexus they are very easy to keep clean and will m,ost probably by my next filter, a nexus will cost you £300+ and if you can get one secnd hand they retail at the £240 mark .
If you chat with willo he will tell you about the filter he has just paid good money on at £450 .
Peter Waddington does a filter called the Eric filter that one retails at £700.
There are plenty of other filters out there from the small pressure filters to the bubble or bead filters bubble and bead filters retail at £400.
Th cheapest option for you and I employ one on the pond after one of my 32" votrex style filters sprang a leak and are easy to make and thats a barrel filter , you can make two or three and run pipework between them joining them up into one very large filter.
I hope this helps you in what you want to do with your pond , if you need anymore advice please feel free and ask

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dave thanks for advice how do I go about making a barrel filter. Can't really afford £400 on a filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Didnt make mine as it was made for me wazza but I feel sure they cant be that hard to throw together .
Your going to need more than two barrels to make this work solvent , pipework, blanks, a drill, an angle piece plus a number of lengths of pipe work and a drill that much I know.

Dave

Ask a Question