Which filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Down to minus 5 deg celsius on rate occasions
Country
United Kingdom
It is coming to a point that i will be buying a filter. I was told by a shop to get a fish mate 45000 filter some reviews were very good a few were not so good. I have a pond that will hold 11,000 litres. What do othetes use. Thanks gary

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I built my own out of a stock tank and used lava rock in it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I built my own as well; below is the gist of the filter; it's a filter sock inside a 55 gallon drum. I was just telling Jamie about this, so pics were handy. I use this mech filter in conjunction with my bog (bog is secondary). I like this design as it's easy to clean (if I have to) by pulling the plastic cage+filter material out and hosing it off, but it didn't need it--lasted from February to the end of October, the whole season. Next spring, I'll just replace the filter material and sit back and enjoy another summer of no maintenance filtering.

The plastic chicken wire 'cage' is like an envelope (double-walled plastic chicken wire sewn with fishing line to form a cylinder) whereby I can slide the filter material in and out as necessary. This cage is shorter than the drum height, plus narrower than the drum diameter to allow for possible clogging without my awareness; the water will rise and spill over the cylindrical cage, then pass out the outlet if this happens. Normally, water will flow through the filter and clog, which makes the water rise more until new/clean material is encountered. Btw, I used (2) outlets (should have just done one at 3") as I figured out the outlet should be twice the diam of the inlet. In addition to the eco-felt fabric filter material, I lined the inside of the cage with window screen to catch any larger particles and extend the felt fabric's life.

plumbing at drum filter v3.jpg

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Remember with what you have there that you always have to worry about it over flowing and draining your pond or like my neighbor a deer knocked hers over .My stock tank sits inside a liner that lets any overflow to run right back into the pond .

Ask a Question