Which fish to fill pond with?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently inherited a garden pond (8ft long x 7ft wide x 1ft deep) and live in the UK.

I am new to this so I looking for recommendations of what type of fish to fill the pond with. There are no fish currently in the pond.

There is currently a Lilly plant, pump, filter, oxygenator (I think that is what they're called) and net in place. The water is clear with a small amount of green algae forming on the surface (being looked into on another thread).

Thanks in advance.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I vote Shubunkins! Love the colors:
1586965354666.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stay away from koi, your pond is not big enough. Shubbies are beautiful fish imho. These are some of mine.View attachment 127593

Thanks for your reply.

I think I will be investing in some of these as they are very nice. There used to be some gold coloured fish with black spots on their backs, around six inches long in the pond, any idea what they are?

Attachments

• IMG_0698.jpg
    IMG_0698.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 113
Reaction score
Country
United States
Your pond is slightly over 400-gallons but very shallow. I would start slowly. Is the pond cycled? If not, consider fishless cycling and afterwards, add only a couple of fish at a time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your pond is slightly over 400-gallons but very shallow. I would start slowly. Is the pond cycled? If not, consider fishless cycling and afterwards, add only a couple of fish at a time.

Thanks for your reply Stephen,

To be more precise it has an outer shelf around a foot deep then deeper in and around the middle, almost two feet deep. I think its is nearer 350 gallons.

The pond has had fish in for a long period of time, just not over the last 3 months.

I think I am going to introduce some more plants. give them a couple of weeks to bed in, try and find out what UV filter/bulb needs replacing to sort the algae out, then look at introducing some fishies :)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply.

I think I will be investing in some of these as they are very nice. There used to be some gold coloured fish with black spots on their backs, around six inches long in the pond, any idea what they are?
That fish looks like a small koi. Problem is a 6" koi can become a 24+ inch koi very quickly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Once it's cycled, I'm moving my fancy goldfish crew outside to a 500 gallon stock pond. As much as I love koi, this is simply too small for them. Good luck with your pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply.

Looks like a koi to me not only do they grow fast they are also very successful at breeding in captivity. Tooooooo much so. subunits or stubby fan tails at least it will take a fan tail an hour to saim across the pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your reply.

That looks like a Golden Orfe to me..

Ask a Question