Which kind of pond substrate looks best?

Reaction score
Country
United States
What kind of bottom material do you like best in a pond in your opinion? Just a black liner? Some large river rocks? Is there another way that looks good? Does having rocks vs plain black liner make it harder to see the fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
As with everything else, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

I prefer the look of a totally graveled pond bottom, as I am going for a natural look & don't want to see one bit of the liner. Others have different opinions on what they like to look at. I also feel that the gravel bottom helps give beneficial bacteria place to colonize, so (if that's true like I was taught early in my ponding years) there is actual ecosystem benefit as well as esthetic.

But, again, as to what looks "best" --- eye of the beholder.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
MAINLY 1" to 2" river rock as smaller is so light it gets pulled up into the vacuum too easily. but i have a some 4" and 8" to make it look natural

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I have some smaller river rocks, I don’t net my pond in the fall, so it is a bit of a pain pulling out leaves, but you can just get in there come spring and whazaa you got a nice looking pond.

In the future I may pull the rocks from the bottom, because I have the side walls rocked, it will hopefully still look natural, and just be easier for maintenance.

But it is all personal choice!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I started with just a plain liner but switched upon expansion to a thin layer of pea gravel, mainly because I now have koi and they like to root around and work the bottom. I figured, this would give the plants a higher chance of survival.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
As you can see, it's all a matter of opinion. There are some benefits as some have stated. Beneficial bacteria can colonize within the gravel.
I like it without gravel or stones due to the many trees in my area. I can easily net leaves, acorns, those helicopter things, etc. out with a bare liner.

It's up to you.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a bare liner, which looks like a natural pond bottom. Covered with bits of algae. There is some pea gravel, kitty litter that has spilled over the years on the bottom.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Part of my pond is bare liner, and part has larger basketball size rocks mixed with 1-2” river rock and pea gravel.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love the look of a pond with rock lining the inside, but when I built my pond I was on a tight budget so I skipped the rock. I didn't buy any rock - I scavenged them all at building sites and along the road. As said before, once the algae coats the sides of the liner, it doesn't look too bad. I also use a pond-vac to clean the bottom of the pond in the spring and fall, so having no rock on the bottom makes that easier.

plants - algae bloom 2016-6-13.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When the liner ages and gets covered in a fine film of algae it can look natural . the folds if you even pay attention as you set the liner and the water can look like fractures in the ledge . but it's just your rubber. If you have a chance of water under the liner i would have to say theres little choice , rock it is . Now i do have rock in my pond big rock and while the bald liner can have its own effect and definate benifit in cleaning it just doesn't have the same pop as boulders do .

Ask a Question