Which Liner colour to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm making a small pond in front garden (1st time making any kind of pond). Looking at the liners available online I notice that most are black but apparently some are produced blue, mostly for showing off koi. Blue is kind of appealing but I can only find photoshopped images of blue lines ponds online. Will it actually look good and are there any disadvantages to getting blue liner? (The pond I have dug is 1.4x0.8 and 0.7meters deep)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I would stay with black.
There will be growth or bio film that will grow on the liner. This is a part of the pond ecosystem and it's obviously a good thing, but it may not look so good if the background is blue. It may be more noticable or maybe patchy looking. This is just my guess. I've never had or have seen a blue liner used for a pond.
That being said, there are some who have coverted old swimming pools into ponds. Hopefully they will chime in and give a first hand opinion.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1604595594752.gif
@GerryAddler
I would stick w/black as the nice short carpet algae will grow all over your liner anyways. That type of algae (short kind) is good for your pond and fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You can imagine what blue would look like if you've ever seen a pool that's not been cared for - it gets green in patches with the blue showing through and just looks dirty. Black shows nothing.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Go with black. Once covered in algae (which is something you want to happen), any other color is just going to look....dirty.

Ask a Question