Which Liner Material Do You Prefer: PVC or EPDM?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My pond is EPDM. When I recently dug the new little "turtle bog," I thought I would try PVC. The little bog is only about 6'x3'x2' -- not very big.

So, after comparing the 2, have decided that I'm NOT a fan of PVC. Several reasons, mostly that it didn't conform as well and didn't seem as durable -- does PVC liner come in different thicknesses like rubber....? But, EPDM is more expensive. Guessing it depends on how you'll be using it and how hard you are on it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
epdm for neighbors pond was 197.99 for 15x20 and mine was 329.99 for 20x25 with free shipping from dr foster and smith .I do not need the size I ordered but figure better safe than sorry .Cheapest place as it was higher on ebay

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
EDPM by all means. PVC is cheap and over time you may regret using it.

In an earlier post I think you mentioned joining two pieces of EDPM. If that is you be very careful and follow ALL mfr's directions. If you are unable, for one reason or another, follow ALL directions THERE WILL be problems! I know this from long term agonizing experience. After my failed attempt the only solution was to reline the whole pond. I have 42 or 43 mil Firestone EDPM.

Good luck! :cool:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought the 45 mil epdm and if you ask they will tell you that the epdm and 45 mil firestone are the same really .I think it is just in the name .Pvc is fine but that depends on the conditions it is in ,exposed to weather or sun will cause it to break down faster and as it is they usually only last 10 to 15 years .Some of it of course can and will last longer but when it fails it can be scary moving fish to temporary pond and by then they will be bigger and it can really be scary then .I know all I do right now is worry how I am going to get this done by myself as the liners are really heavy .Plus I will have to move the bridge off my pond by myself .Last time I just slid a ladder under it and raised it up on concrete blocks 2 ft in the air .But this time digging it deeper and filling in part of it will be more work .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Never used anything but the EPDM and bought one from a roofing company and the next one from an irrigation company. Both were just fine and still are 12 yrs later on the first one and about 10 on the second.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
This time I am using underlayment .I got the really thick stuff .Allows water to go through but gives some protection to the liner .Now I gotta find that chewer and get rid of it .I put a live animal trap out by the pond ,he will go visit some one else and going to put down more milky spore for the grubs to get rid of the moles .I hope it was not one of them .Can't do this again .My pond water is down a foot because of the hole .It wicks water up the liner as it freezes at the edge of the pond .I tried to protect it with an extra piece of liner .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
On another forum someone wrote: On my first pond I had mice chew through the liner. When I repaired it I used galv. hardware cloth on the sides of the pond then added another barrier to protect the liner from the cloth.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
may have to try that but wonder though about long term if something could happen to the galv. wire if it will poke through the liner if any thing shifts .I know that under the shed the galv. wire rusted ,geeze even the galv .screws rusted and stripped because the were so bad when I tried to take them out .Heads broke off screws also ,seems they don't make these things very good any more .I wonder if it comes down to recycled metals that are used .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
EDPM by all means. PVC is cheap and over time you may regret using it.

In an earlier post I think you mentioned joining two pieces of EDPM. If that is you be very careful and follow ALL mfr's directions. If you are unable, for one reason or another, follow ALL directions THERE WILL be problems! I know this from long term agonizing experience. After my failed attempt the only solution was to reline the whole pond. I have 42 or 43 mil Firestone EDPM.

Good luck! :cool:
Lou, what happened?

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Lou, what happened?

The seam went across a 6' span. Sloped from wall over uneven bottom valley to an opposite wall. Overtime the seam leaked at the slopes on both sides. All attempts to make in pond repairs were unsuccessful. Trying to seam an existing in pond liner is a receipe for eventual failure.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yep pond digger warned me repairs on existing pond are never easy and as the surface needs to be left flat and it needs to cure as long as possible .Small holes are not bad but long lengths can be a bear to fix because of pressure and dampness from existing water and also outside temps .He said long lengths or big repairs should be done on a flat surface and left to cure and really recomends not to do them yourself unless you know what you are doing and even then there is still a big chance it will fail

Ask a Question