Which Ochiba do you like the best ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We are now at the start of our 28th year of koi keeping and though we love all of our koi from our 28 year old to the latest and treat them all the same
However Val and I did in all this time develope a soft spot for one koi the Ochiba Shiguri a strange mix of somewhere between a Kuhaku and a lesser known koi the Soragio.
In acctual fact it comes from a ChagioSoragio cross .
A good example must show good scale reticulation is essencial brown on grey is a highly subtle colour combination , Ochiba Shiguri translated from Japanese to English Equates to rain on Autumn Leaves
Anyway I digress weve now owned not one or two but with this years grow and show competition our third one .
All are very nice fish the largest our first was sold on at 24"but we still have our last one in the pond
Which of the three Ochiba is your favorite ?

1)
Our-1st-Ochiba.jpg
1st Ochiba

2)
Dave's Ochiba_small.jpg
2nd Ochiba

3)
new ochiba.jpg
Latest Ochiba

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, They are all beautiful but if I had to pick one I would say the first one and then the last one. Which is your favorite?

A bit off the subject but I always wonder how people manage to keep a koi from jumping out of the container/bowl? I realize this is only done to take a photo or medicating or when showing a fish but do they have to be trained so to speak?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
No1 and 3 are my favorites the second though nice doesnt in my view carry its colouration right but in saying that it did win that show and grow hands down so to speak so that does give it some merit .
@bettasngoldfish in answer to your question Maria , its all down to how they are handled by their owner , when catching them the 22" pancake does not touch the koi only guides it .
Then they are quickly netted in a sock net and slide right into their bags which are then topped up with oxygen and black bin linered so the fish far from being freaked out about all this with the help of a few flakes of elbagin they are light;y sedated .
They are released from the bags and placed directly into the show Vat until benching just chilling and swimming around , they are then again led by the 22" pancake net to the benching bowl which they gently swim into then after benching they swim right back out of the bowl .
The only time the koi is handled is to take it from the bags , to do this we turn the koi twice once way twice the other making sure the koi is facing you , you then lift it clear of the bag .
Between each stage the koi is given time to relax , and that is why they dont jump
@Lisak1I totally agree with you Lisa the netted look is highly prized every good ochiba must show them
@mrsclem mrsclem the third is yet an untried koi in the show arena so it is up to us by mid jul;y to try to bring this koi on for its first ever show and for it tp please the most important person in all of this the BKKS judges , then in November like Number 2 did before it has to please its biggest critics the other koi keepes in the club , you know that if its voted as the best improved koi Growth colouration reticulation etc all have to please our fellow members so in acctual fact they are more important than the Judge

Dave

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
#2 to me. I like the simple pattern but bold patches of color, It has to me the most Autumn leaf look.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
True koiguy at the moment hes still a little washed out but he had a long journy then the grow and show then another journy home but give him a week our two to get used to the water etc and she should come right again , it took a while for the other as well but hes now filled out gotten larger and everything is perfect with reticulation coloration etc

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The first is my favorite. So different. Interesting.

Second choice is #2 Love the scale pattern!
1 and 3 are my favorite Priscilla I agree about the differing pattern of no I but if we get this right no 3 will be stunning

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
I completely love the first one!!!! 3 would be my second choice, but I would have quickly gone with #1. I do love that variety. The subtle colors are beautiful, and the personalities are charming.

Ask a Question