Which Pond Kit?

Reaction score
Hello all.
My name is Wayne and I own a small business and a farm, in NW Florida, specializing in American Blackbelly sheep, I am also an avid DIY'er but don't have much spare time right now to put into a "custom" pond. What brand/ or type of "pond kit" would you suggest in the 200 to 400 gallon range? Are the flexible/sheet liner ones easier or better than the "moulded plastic" ones? I would like to have one with a small waterfall unit, pump, filter etc.and plan to put goldfish or koi in this pond. Thanks!
Here's my farm.....
http://millstonefarm.weebly.com/

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
I've had both and prefer a flexible liner, the molded ones always ended up getting water under and floating up unless I just made it above ground. I've made the molded ones work but it was usually not ideal.

Also 400 gallons would be way to small for koi. I started with 5 koi in a 600 gallon and they outgrew it in no time.

Reaction score
I guess with that size I might need to settle for goldfish. Thanks for the heads up on that molded liner! There are drawbacks to everything it seems and it sure helps to know what they are.

Reaction score
Welcome:)

IF you backfill the molded pond properly with gravel, they wont float up, but by the time you buy a molded pond, and mess with the gravel, you will end up with a much nicer product with the liner for considerably less money. Just be sure you buy a 45 mil liner and get rid of any roots and rocks when you did the hole. Plenty of folks here who can help with the do's and don't regardless of which you go with. My vote is for a liner pond;-)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
plastic ponds are not deep enough the fish could cook .Liners are cheaper now and if you just want a temporary pond you could go with a 20 mil liner and then when you want to go bigger you could take that out and use it in your stream .$5 mil liners are expensive to ship as they are heavy .That would be up to how long you want to keep the pond the size you are saying .Most pond owners go bigger after a year or 2

Reaction score
Thanks!
Is the EDPM material the best to use? Because I would like something that conforms to the hole reasonably well without too many wrinkes, if that's possible.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you will get more wrinkles from the 45 mil compared to the 20 mil .But the 20 mil is easier to fold .I had a pond with 20 mil and it was so much easier than the 45 mil i put in .The 45 mil is heavy and both need layed out in the sun for awhile to make them flexible enough to work with .I did mine by myself and wish i had help .My neighbor has a 20 mil and it has lasted 15 years almost with no problems .She had no fish or pump for years until I helped her with it .That was 7years ago I gave her fish and helped her build a pump .I guess it shows they can last .I also know of tarp liners as addy posted them on here and they are dirt cheap .They sell them online .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am thinking of getting one .They are billboard or road side sign liners

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
When one gets into larger liners check out he local roofing supply companies and skip the shipping charges. I do not know if any are willing to sell less then a full roll so it may not work for smaller ponds. Roll sized I recall are 10x50 and 25x50 (I think).

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Most roofing companies Here sell it by the yard .There are a lot of flat roofs .I know builders discount center does and you can buy 20 mil from northern tool company and like they say e bay

Ask a Question