Which power solar pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I have an established barrel pond which I'm hoping to expand. I thought it'd be nice to tilt the barrel, add a spout, and have it flow into a small pond. I need a pump to raise the water back into the barrel (which is less than half a metre high), and I like the idea of a solar powered pump but I'm not sure how powerful the pump needs to be. Any ideas?

H

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!
No idea. But I would go electric. Here are a couple of considerations:
Solar will obviously not run 24/7 so if you go that route make sure to have a reliable pump for the lower pond if you get fish.
Every solar pump I have seen and read about are fairly low power. Consider 'head height' which is the distance from the pump's discharge to the highest point it will have to send the water.
The overflow from the barrel will have to channeled so as not to spill over the sides.
Just some thoughts.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1585324993610.gif
@Heron
I agree w/going electric if you can. If you are handy you could make a small windmill pump or battery operated one.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the advice.

I'm not bothering with fish, I don't have the space, and I don't really want to run a cable down the garden. A battery powered pump might do.

:)

Ask a Question