Which predator will it be?

Reaction score
My mam and stepdad loved our new ponds so much they made one themselves, a preformed one that has a shelf at either end and is about ten feet by four feet but only about 2 1/2 feet deep.
It was lovely and plants set up and water set up and correct amount of small fish for the pond etc.. All was well and the pond was just outside the french windows and a source of delight and relaxation for them.

Until this morning that is, when I got a phone call to say that the plants had all been knocked into the bottom of the pool and there was no sign of any fish at all, except a bit of one fish head and an eye.

Although its all very new, my mam was very much saddened to see this and we wonder what has done this.They are scared to re stock the pond in case this should happen again.
They have a few doves remaining as the rest have been eaten by a hawk. Could that have killed and eaten the fish?
They live on the coast line also surrounded by fields with a beck running through it. Neighbours have got cats.

They dont want to get electric fencing because the pond is right outside the house and it isnt what they want to look at.
Netting might be an option?
People who live over the road from them have a very large pond with very large koi and they have had to put up electric fencing because of herons.
Would a heron leave the fish head on a rock at the side of the pond?
there are rockery style rocks around the edge that jut over the edge of the pond but there is one area where there are rocks placed for hedgehogs to climb back out if they fall in.

Does anyone have any idea what type of predator it is more likely to be so we can try and combat it?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How sad, Do you have raccoons? It might have been a neighborhood cat too.
The others in the forum can help you with herons I have not had any experience with them.

Most likely the hawk didn't go after the fish. I have watched eagles fish, they take the fish from the top of the water.

Good luck to you and your parents.

Reaction score
No we dont get racoons here, I live in England, UK.

We do get cats, foxes, weasels, stoats, otters, foxes and some birds of prey.

Im just not sure whether this is the result of a bird (I would have thought they would swallow the fish whole but Im just guessing) or an animal.

If its an animal Im wondering if they should lose the stones that effectively form an access ramp in to/out of the pond for small animals to drink or escape?

Also, I would have thought that a cat would just stand on the edge and dip in a paw but whatever has done this must have been right in the water.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Otters would have a grand time in the pond, not sure if they hang around your houses there.

The access ramp may or may not matter, a lot of critters would just jump up into the pond.

No kidding cats don't like getting wet, so you are probably right about it not being a cat.

Get a motion sensor for a camera or video, put in a few cheap gold fish and see if you can catch the critter on film.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have had many cats come around my pond. None are willing to get thier paws wet to go after the fish.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
DrDave said:
I have had many cats come around my pond. None are willing to get thier paws wet to go after the fish.

well yes you dont hear of many cats liking water, but i have one hes almost 2 and he loves water jumped right into my pond ..and he will get in the bath if you let him

Reaction score
Stroppy that is cool, a swimming cat!!!

I have been looking it up and apparently mink is a possibility.
Animal rights protesters released some North American mink from a mink farm in England in the 1950's and these are now rife and have devasted wildlife including fish from ponds.
They are apparently sometimes mistaken for otters and are vicious determined little animals.
The post woman has also seen Otter twice in the lane at my parents and there is are definately Heron in the area.
We are going to go through later and go on a poo hunt to see if there are any signs.(hmmm exciting eh!!)
They are going to put some trays of sand around the pond too to try and get some foot or paws prints.
I hope its a heron as I think that will probably be easier to deal with. I imagine animals will knaw through any mesh that isnt metal.
A problem will be that the pond is surrounded by irregular rocks and plants and a conifer type shrub that is spread over the ground.
So Im not sure how to design a frame that could be put over the top, light enough to make it liftable for my parents but so that it stays put.
Some of the shrubs might have to be moved to allow a frame to sit on the ground.
Oh... I wonder if mink and otters dig?

It would be lovely for them to be able to get more fish as they loved seeing them but my mam is thinking it just isnt to be, espescially after having bad luck recently with the hawk eating her doves.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have fun! The excitement is building!

Reaction score
No poo but mam rang to say that there are paw prints in the sand trays which mam says looks like dogs paws with claws. There is also another set the same but smaller. We are going to go and have a look later today.
They have decided to put the sand trays out each night to see how often they come and wont restock the pond until they stop coming.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
darn, hope they can figure it out and the critters quit coming. So they can have fish again.

Ask a Question