WHISKEYS NEW POND PROJECT

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
Hi folks guess most of you , know my ponds and waterwheel, well for some time now always wanted to keep a few koi ,sturgeon and catfish, so all my fish stock are now in the front garden pond [4ft x4ft x2ft] and seem to be happy in their new pond.
Plan is to close off top pond .....close off top section of lower pond ,making this the new home of waterwheel, plus square up whats left of lower pond to make a 9ft x9ft or a 10ft x 9ft koi pool, depth of pool 6ft. Have posted plans for you all to view...hope this makes sence.

Attachments

• DSC00124.JPG
    DSC00124.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 746
  • DSC00800.JPG
    DSC00800.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 784
  • DSC00803.JPG
    DSC00803.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 703
  • DSC00796.JPG
    DSC00796.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 763
  • DSC00797.JPG
    DSC00797.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 672

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow talk about bigger .I have koi but only went around 4 feet .I guess 6 ft they will love and the extra room you will need .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That will be nice, you keep making your pond better and better.

whiskey

Reaction score
yea hoping for 6ft depends on what i find down under ? Hoping to raise walling to 3ft and 3ft in ground, should i hit hidden problems guess ill raise the walling or settle for what depth i get to.
Weather very cold at time of writing near zero tonight and only 4* during the day, so only prepare, posssible at moment, build when weather improves.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow cool idea's whiskey.................................but not nice to tempt us w/ fancy designs and then say we have to wait til WEATHER PERMITS..............what's up w/ that? Are you not a REAL MAN.................
workman6.gif
hahaha13.gif
Kidding whiskey but now comes the waiting
impatient.gif

Reaction score
For my next pond I was thinking along the same lines, raised sides. I was thinking 4' deep, but you have inspired me...why not 6' or even deeper?

whiskey

Reaction score
Dr Dave what depth out of interest are your ponds and what minimum would koi tolerate. no yellow submarines as yet...ha ha
Today ventured out for four hour then sun went ond temp dropped...brrrrr also found very tiny leak in top left of first photo ,you may be able to see damp patch and dip in sand,
Will start cutting blocks tomorrow with power cutter and knockout wall, trying to save as many blocks as possible,

Attachments

• DSC00806.JPG
    DSC00806.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 477
  • DSC00807.JPG
    DSC00807.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 486

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey hooray you are really getting to it whiskey! This is going to be a fun one to watch you do. Gonna be really nice for you when finished and of course for the fish also!

Reaction score
Hi folks guess most of you , know my ponds and waterwheel, well for some time now always wanted to keep a few koi ,sturgeon and catfish, so all my fish stock are now in the front garden pond [4ft x4ft x2ft] and seem to be happy in their new pond. Plan is to close off top pond .....close off top section of lower pond ,making this the new home of waterwheel, plus square up whats left of lower pond to make a 9ft x9ft or a 10ft x 9ft koi pool, depth of pool 6ft. Have posted plans for you all to view...hope this makes sence.

Whiskey,

I don't know why, Koi are beautiful fish, but when you start talking about catfish and sturgeon, my ears really perk up! I am intrigued with your pond plans and wish to follow your progress.
Since you are in the UK, I wonder what catfish and sturgeon species you have there. Are you catching them from the wild or are you buying specific breeds that are available through a pond shop or pet shop?

Some folks may think my bait tank fish are boring (most are just plain in color) but I think that they are the most interesting and exciting! Besides that, they cost me nothing but the fun to catch them, and a few night-crawlers (worms). That's a good trade, the fun of fishing for an hour or two to get bait to fish for several days and catch the really BIG 'uns!

Since I mentioned night-crawlers and worms, I have to divulge a "Gordy 'fishing' Story". Ha Ha You'll like it.

When my Dad was young, in his late teens or early twenties, a relative from the east who lived in a city all his life came out west to visit. My Dad and uncles and friends took this fellow catfishing with them. He wasn't very "outdoorsy" if you understand what I mean.

They told him that they needed to go catch some NIGHT CRAWLERS before they went out fishing. They didn't elaborate as they expected that he understood that they were after the big worms for fishing bait. Sometime after dark, they drove up to a waterworks pumping house in their car. The utility company always watered the lawn around the pump house and kept the grass well maintained. It was a great spot for getting worms for fish bait.

When they pulled up to the pumphouse, there were three to five other people on their hands and knees with flashlights (torches for you in the UK) who beat them to the spot. Everyone commented before exiting the car that there must be a lot of "night-crawlers" out there. The city dude had no clue what they were referring to or what he was getting into!

He could tell by the light from the pumphouse that these were people on the grass, but somehow, he didn't get the connection. He thought that my Dad and uncles were going to catch "THEM"! He said, "What the HELL are they? Some kind of LUNATICS?"

Oh my, the poor guy was just frightened out of his wits! He wouldn't even get out of the car.

I would have liked to have been born and alive at the time to know this fellow. I would like to have worked with him and every day, shout: "NIGHT CRAWLER!"

Ha Ha Ha

OK, I am mean, but sometimes it's a lot of fun!

RADAR

whiskey

Reaction score
Hi all and a hello catfishnut, being a fisherman myself carp are my love, along with roach and tench fishing, worm works over here too, although catfish anglers over here use dead bait such as roach or seafish, as so we use halibut 20mm hard pellet, doubled up on hook.
I like sturgeon and catfish and the mix with koi, floats my boat, so to speak, all big fish swimming together, looks great.
Right down to todays progress, slow and hard graft for four hours but glad to be indoors in warm and feet up with cup of tea.
Photos of progress with wall gone, broke two in half, trying to get them out, but most ok, just need to be cleaned up, ready for first layer on base work.

Attachments

• DSC00808.JPG
    DSC00808.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 487
  • DSC00809.JPG
    DSC00809.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 456
  • DSC00810.JPG
    DSC00810.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 422

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
So that whole area where your stone is is going to be pond and you are going deeper .You really have a lot of work ahead of you

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Happy digging whiskey and hope ya find some nice soft stuff to dig in down under :goodnight:

Ask a Question