White blob on dorsal fin of newly arrived goldfish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Good morning! I have a new fish that just arrived via overnight shipping from less than 100 miles away and it has a goober on its dorsal fin. There’s only one white spot and it looks much too large to be ich. It kind of reminds me of carp pox, but it’s the wrong time of year, unless transport alone could be enough to trigger it? Any thoughts on what this might be would be appreciated. I thought I’d ask before attempting any more invasive examination.

Attachments

• 84FADFB5-7D6E-4058-B94C-F90697D7A82C.jpeg
    84FADFB5-7D6E-4058-B94C-F90697D7A82C.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 24
  • E7316BE1-6C84-457F-A40A-FCBC898EAF6F.png
    E7316BE1-6C84-457F-A40A-FCBC898EAF6F.png
    158.3 KB · Views: 21

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You are correct when you mention shipping, and this could be stress-related carp pox. It also looks a little plump. Is it a female? Be sure to quarantine it before it goes in with the rest of your fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
You are correct when you mention shipping, and this could be stress-related carp pox. It also looks a little plump. Is it a female? Be sure to quarantine it before it goes in with the rest of your fish.
Absolutely quarantining even if there wasn’t any sign of illness

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Have you checked with the shipper? I would consider returning the fish, or at least let them know in case you want to return it after quarantine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Have you checked with the shipper? I would consider returning the fish, or at least let them know in case you want to return it after quarantine.
I did reach out to them and included photos within 2 hours of receipt. The fish appears to be healthy and acting totally normally otherwise. My biggest shubunkin in my pond has had carp pox before, so knowing it’s not contagious and there’s nothing you can do to prevent it, just some fish are prone to it and others not, it doesn’t concern me terribly if that’s the issue. Of course if the fish begins behaving sickly or has other issues, at least I’ve already started my contact with them. But yes, I definitely did want to get their opinion and feedback in case they’ve had any issues with other fish that might suggest it’s not just carp pox.

Ask a Question