White bump with redness/inflammation at base

Discussion in 'Illness and Disease' started by ShawnInfirmity, Apr 25, 2018.

1. ShawnInfirmity

ShawnInfirmity

So, I was feeding the fish and I noticed that one of my little grey shubunkins had a white bump with redness/irritation at the base. The water tests for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate all came back normal “0” but I haven’t tested pH yet. It looked like a pimple and after I caught the fish I swabbed it with peroxide and the white rubbed off and it was just red and foamy afterwards. I am not sure if it’s an injury that started to get infected or something else. Any thoughts!?

DBC0B23B-B51D-4F2B-BFBB-F93DB6ADAC16.jpeg C4B6B43F-601C-4503-9BCF-3DC7C5F98A91.jpeg

ShawnInfirmity, Apr 25, 2018
    Mmathis likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. ShawnInfirmity

sissy sissy

could be injury from spawning but could get worse if not treated .Could turn into ick

sissy, Apr 25, 2018
    Mmathis likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. ShawnInfirmity

Tula

Treating it with peroxide once, is good. I would keep a close eye on it and see if it begins to heal.

Tula, Apr 25, 2018
    Mmathis likes this.
  4. ShawnInfirmity

sissy sissy

milafix or pima fix .You can even buy it in small bottles in walmart

sissy, Apr 25, 2018
  5. ShawnInfirmity

ShawnInfirmity

@sissy and @Tula , I am thinking it was more an injury than anything that could spread to other fish, but I will certainly keep an eye on it. I also forgot to mention that after I spot treated it with hydrogen peroxide I also dosed the pond with Melafix in a hope that it would help promote healing and recovery.

I checked on the fish this morning and I was surprised to see only half of them in there but when I looked more closely the other half were hiding under the sterilite storage crates. The half that were out were engaged in a decent amount of chasing which makes me think it most likely was an injury resulting from spawning activity.

6. ShawnInfirmity

sissy sissy

could be a predator that scare them .Get a security camera .I have one on my pond and son set up alert to it so if anything goes near the pond the monitor tells me .Camera was off ebay 4 of them 59 dollars alarm system was 10 dollars

sissy, Apr 25, 2018
  7. ShawnInfirmity

ShawnInfirmity

I have security cameras in the front and back and if need be I could zoom in on it and see if there's been a predator. The only problem with my cameras is that they're not the best at night even when night vision mode is on.

8. ShawnInfirmity

sissy sissy

I keep my pond down lighted at night with led lights so I can see everything around and in the pond

sissy, Apr 25, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question