White bump with redness/inflammation at base

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So, I was feeding the fish and I noticed that one of my little grey shubunkins had a white bump with redness/irritation at the base. The water tests for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate all came back normal “0” but I haven’t tested pH yet. It looked like a pimple and after I caught the fish I swabbed it with peroxide and the white rubbed off and it was just red and foamy afterwards. I am not sure if it’s an injury that started to get infected or something else. Any thoughts!?

DBC0B23B-B51D-4F2B-BFBB-F93DB6ADAC16.jpeg C4B6B43F-601C-4503-9BCF-3DC7C5F98A91.jpeg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
could be injury from spawning but could get worse if not treated .Could turn into ick

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Treating it with peroxide once, is good. I would keep a close eye on it and see if it begins to heal.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
milafix or pima fix .You can even buy it in small bottles in walmart

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@sissy and @Tula , I am thinking it was more an injury than anything that could spread to other fish, but I will certainly keep an eye on it. I also forgot to mention that after I spot treated it with hydrogen peroxide I also dosed the pond with Melafix in a hope that it would help promote healing and recovery.

I checked on the fish this morning and I was surprised to see only half of them in there but when I looked more closely the other half were hiding under the sterilite storage crates. The half that were out were engaged in a decent amount of chasing which makes me think it most likely was an injury resulting from spawning activity.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
could be a predator that scare them .Get a security camera .I have one on my pond and son set up alert to it so if anything goes near the pond the monitor tells me .Camera was off ebay 4 of them 59 dollars alarm system was 10 dollars

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have security cameras in the front and back and if need be I could zoom in on it and see if there's been a predator. The only problem with my cameras is that they're not the best at night even when night vision mode is on.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I keep my pond down lighted at night with led lights so I can see everything around and in the pond

Ask a Question