White comet?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, my comets went into spring with determination to overpopulating my pond. There were three "batches" of them. The oldest are now about 3-3.5". The middle group 2.5-3" and the last one about 2". All of them are now orange and have been for at least two months. There are however two from the middle group that are not. One of those is still brown. I'm not worried. It could just be a late bloomer. The one that has me stumped though is the white one. It's been white since the first time I saw it at about 1". What is it? An albino? Or is there such a thing as white comets? It's healthy and does everything its siblings and cousins do.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks! I guess I knew there were white goldfish, but I thought they came from white fish parents. Sort of like a different breed? I didn't know they just appear randomly with orange ones. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks! I guess I knew there were white goldfish, but I thought they came from white fish parents. Sort of like a different breed? I didn't know they just appear randomly with orange ones. :)
I only have koi and 2 shubunkin in my pond, I still got a white mutt (half koi half who knows) once

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have some white comets with red eyes and some that don't. What color eyes does your comet have?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I have some white comets with red eyes and some that don't. What color eyes does your comet have?
The brown one is a late bloomer I have an Albino koi [kigoi]. however they are yellow in colouration with albino eyes , so comets come out white as albinos do they Keith ?
Unlike koi ...

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Dave, I'm going to go back and look at some of my old pictures of my pond to see if the white fish eyes changed to red when their colors changed to white. I have had a lot of fish starting out black so I'm guessing the eyes changed to red at the time the fish started showing albino characteristics. I have some without red eyes so I know it can vary. I have had some start as white right away too.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A question about the "red eyes." Are the eyes themselves red, or are we talking about the pigmentation of the skin surrounding the eyes? I have several fish that LOOK like they have red eyes, but their eyes are actually black -- the surrounding skin is red which makes them look like they have red eyes. I have a really good pic somewhere if I can find it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave, I'm going to go back and look at some of my old pictures of my pond to see if the white fish eyes changed to red when their colors changed to white. I have had a lot of fish starting out black so I'm guessing the eyes changed to red at the time the fish started showing albino characteristics. I have some without red eyes so I know it can vary. I have had some start as white right away too.
Keith one of the ways the breeder knows how many albino koigoi's he has in the mud growing on ponds is by eye shine.
At night he takes a powerful torch to the pond and shines it on the ponds surface , like crocs and gators their eyes reflect back at him thus he can do a count of how many he has .
I wonder if that might work in your case ?

Dave

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is considered albino because of the red eye and lack of pigment (note the see thru fins). Not all white fish are considered albino.

Siamese-Doll-Albino.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I've had comets with red eyes that were red/orange fish, and also all white, and some that are white/red with red eyes. I think MMathis must be onto something, because I'm certain a red/white comet with red eyes would not be considered an albino. Not saying an all white one isn't, though, but I think the red eye is a characteristic in some of them, which I personally really like!

Ask a Question