White Eyes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hello,

One of my fish have while eyes and it doesn't seem to be able to see. Or at least--it is not appearing to see the food drop in front of it. It has not eaten in 2 days now and just swims around--today it was sort of off bal. a bit. Can fish go blind or could it be the only one in the pond with cloudy eye? Should I try treating the pond or just see what happens?

Thanks for any advice. If water parameters are needed--I can't do them until tomorrow morning.

003-001.JPG
004-001.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Has it always had white eyes? And has it ever exhibited this non-eating behavior before?
No--it is new--All of them have always eaten--I have tried sinking pellets in front of it--that is like a darn video game--and I'm not very good at those. So it has not got any, less it's just eating algae or something.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is possible for one fish to have cloudy eye and not the others. The number one cause (although not the only) of cloudy eye is poor water quality and will normally go away on it's own once conditions have improved.

Do you have a water test kit? If not you should think about buying one. You can get the API Master Test Kit http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI and add GH & KH if you can http://www.amazon.com/API-GH-KH-Tes...UTF8&qid=1439757165&sr=1-1&keywords=api+kh+gh

As for not being able to see fish can find food by smell so they don't really have to see to be able to eat.

Do you have a quarantine tank if you end up needing it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
It is possible for one fish to have cloudy eye and not the others. The number one cause (although not the only) of cloudy eye is poor water quality and will normally go away on it's own once conditions have improved.

Do you have a water test kit? If not you should think about buying one. You can get the API Master Test Kit http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI and add GH & KH if you can http://www.amazon.com/API-GH-KH-Tes...UTF8&qid=1439757165&sr=1-1&keywords=api+kh+gh

As for not being able to see fish can find food by smell so they don't really have to see to be able to eat.

Do you have a quarantine tank if you end up needing it?
No I don't have a QT set up--I can do my testing in the morning, I did a 15% water change yesterday, but the eyes were already while at that time. If it is cloudy eyes--should I treat the whole pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I would wait to confirm your water quality with the test kit and then go from there. If you are having a water quality issue then you will need to address that with water changes being the number one thing to do (in which case you could leave the fish in the pond)

If water tests good then I would recommend quarantine for the one fish with the issue and treat there instead of the whole pond.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
LibraKoi- I had several fish with the same problem this spring. This is the thread I started.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/blind-koi.16366/

It did turn out to be a water quality issue as we had a section of the pond that had built up a lot of leaves, etc over the winter and did not get cleaned out. We ended up losing 2/3 of the fish due to secondary infection of fin and tail rot. We treated the worst in a QT tank with antibiotics and put the whole pond on medicated food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
@LibraKoi Tell us about your pond. I'm sure you did that back when you joined, but it helps to post that again when there is a problem, esp. since things can change.
Pond is 2500 gal. we have a biofalls filter with waterfall using an easy pro 150 pump.--contains lava rock and bioballs with sponges. Also have a small laguna filter that is used for a small spill way that does 1200 gals --Have UV and 50 lbs. of crushed oyster and coral in the filter. I know that I am over populated as they have been spawning each year-with some survivors; however they did not spawn this year.

Testing is done and as follows.

PH 7.2-7.4
Ammon. 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 30-40
KH 53.7 ( this has always been low and even with the crushed shells am unable to raise it.)
Phosphate 5 (not that this is important)
Temp is 76

Fed this morning and the fish is the same--was not able to get it to catch any food again--seems to be a little weaker.

Thank You

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Do you do anything for the nitrates, such as regualr water changes?
Yes every other week I do a 10% or so change. I just did one on Sat. I also use Aqua medzyme every other week, Microbelift PL once a month and Clay 1 or 2x a week. I know I am over stocked--cause this is the first year that I have had Nitrates that high. I have been feeding 2 x daily-- need to cut that down to at least once, right?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ideally you should move the fish who seems to be getting weaker to a quarantine tank.

I would suggest you step up your water changes to get better control over the nitrates. Maybe try doing a weekly water change and up the amount from 10% to 25% (doesn't have to be exact) this will help all the fish not just the one having trouble.

Definitely cut back on the amount your feeding. Once daily is plenty and even that could be cut down a bit giving them a day of fasting every week won't hurt. It will also cut down on the waste which will help with water quality.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Ideally you should move the fish who seems to be getting weaker to a quarantine tank.

I would suggest you step up your water changes to get better control over the nitrates. Maybe try doing a weekly water change and up the amount from 10% to 25% (doesn't have to be exact) this will help all the fish not just the one having trouble.

Definitely cut back on the amount your feeding. Once daily is plenty and even that could be cut down a bit giving them a day of fasting every week won't hurt. It will also cut down on the waste which will help with water quality.
Thank You--I don't have any way to remove the fish--it is large and would need a good size tub with filter and air--

Has anyone heard of Sabbactisun and Parazoryne by Microbe lift? I have both. Do you think I could just use those? They are both for min. of 10 day treatments--Would I use them both the same day for day days?

Ask a Question