White fuzz and occassional lethargy.

Reaction score
Country
My shubunkin has been sick for about two weeks. She has a white fuzz on her fins and gills (see photo). Her eyes are glazy and white. And, she floats on her side when she is not swimming (about half the time). I separated her from the other fish and treated the water she is now in with Jungle brand Fungus Clear fizz tabs
(nitrofurazone and potassium dichromate)
. She hasn't gotten any worse but she hasn't gotten any better either since adding the treatment to the water 5 days ago. Any suggestions to get her healthy again will be greatly appreciated. --Dave

Attachments

A

Advertising

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
Do you have an aerator and a filter in the tank and a water test kit and is she from an outside pond and did yo do a climate acclimate change so it was not a shock to the fish

A

Advertising

Reaction score
Country
Do you have an aerator and a filter in the tank and a water test kit and is she from an outside pond and did yo do a climate acclimate change so it was not a shock to the fish
I do have a small aerator/filter/pump in the tank. The water just tested at 2.0 ppm for Ammonia. She is from an outside pond which was at about 40 degrees. I transferred her to the indoor tank (plastic bucket) by taking some of the water from the pond to assure same temp and biological conditions. Over a few days, the water temp increased from 40 to about 53 degrees. I have since transferred her to a larger tank (stainless steel sink) with fresh water that I conditioned with dechlorinator solution.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
2.0 ppm of ammonia is a high reading. Was the water you tested pond water, or the tap water you used decholrinator in ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I would make sure the water in the new tank is clean and warm and just observe. I would slowly increase the temperature to 70 degrees F and hold it there for a few days. If you don't see a reduction in the spots or the cloudiness then there are a number of things it could be--the worst of which is Ich.

Reaction score
Country
I would make sure the water in the new tank is clean and warm and just observe. I would slowly increase the temperature to 70 degrees F and hold it there for a few days. If you don't see a reduction in the spots or the cloudiness then there are a number of things it could be--the worst of which is Ich.
Will do. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Any updates on your fish @daver? It looks fungal in nature to me, but it’s hard to tell in the photo. The fish also has a pink tinge to it, is that from the antifungal tablets or on the actual fish?

A

Advertising

Ask a Question