White fuzz and occassional lethargy.

Discussion in 'Illness and Disease' started by daver, Feb 28, 2018.

1. daver

daver

My shubunkin has been sick for about two weeks. She has a white fuzz on her fins and gills (see photo). Her eyes are glazy and white. And, she floats on her side when she is not swimming (about half the time). I separated her from the other fish and treated the water she is now in with Jungle brand Fungus Clear fizz tabs
    (nitrofurazone and potassium dichromate)
    . She hasn't gotten any worse but she hasn't gotten any better either since adding the treatment to the water 5 days ago. Any suggestions to get her healthy again will be greatly appreciated. --Dave

Attached Files:

daver, Feb 28, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. daver

sissy sissy

Do you have an aerator and a filter in the tank and a water test kit and is she from an outside pond and did yo do a climate acclimate change so it was not a shock to the fish

sissy, Feb 28, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. daver

daver

I do have a small aerator/filter/pump in the tank. The water just tested at 2.0 ppm for Ammonia. She is from an outside pond which was at about 40 degrees. I transferred her to the indoor tank (plastic bucket) by taking some of the water from the pond to assure same temp and biological conditions. Over a few days, the water temp increased from 40 to about 53 degrees. I have since transferred her to a larger tank (stainless steel sink) with fresh water that I conditioned with dechlorinator solution.

daver, Feb 28, 2018
  4. daver

Tula

2.0 ppm of ammonia is a high reading. Was the water you tested pond water, or the tap water you used decholrinator in ?

Tula, Feb 28, 2018
  5. daver

daver

Tap water

daver, Mar 1, 2018
  6. daver

audioenvy

I would make sure the water in the new tank is clean and warm and just observe. I would slowly increase the temperature to 70 degrees F and hold it there for a few days. If you don't see a reduction in the spots or the cloudiness then there are a number of things it could be--the worst of which is Ich.

audioenvy, Mar 1, 2018
    Tula likes this.
  7. daver

daver

Will do. Thanks.

daver, Mar 1, 2018
    Tula likes this.
  8. daver

ShawnInfirmity

Any updates on your fish @daver? It looks fungal in nature to me, but it’s hard to tell in the photo. The fish also has a pink tinge to it, is that from the antifungal tablets or on the actual fish?

ShawnInfirmity, Mar 4, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question