WHITE GINGER LILY (Hedychium coronarium)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I hate it when I start a post, then "go somewhere else" via the iPad and lose the post!

Anyway, I have these plants that were given to me years ago by my SIL. She called them Ginger Lilies, and said she could never get them to grow for her. I stuck them in the ground and forgot about them, though watched them pop up year after year. Vigorous growers, but controllable. Only saw flowers once or twice, though, not counting this year.

Recalled that my SIL said they liked a lot of water, so last year I stuck some in the turtle bog part of the pond. They've grown well, big & healthy except never quite that nice green -- I assumed they just weren't getting enough nutrients where they were. They are apparently late bloomers, as these are just finishing their blooms out -- the info I read said they bloom summer through fall. The blooms smell nice, too!

I JUST got around to looking them up. They are pretty hardy. Will die back, but survive cold well. Like a moist soil, and like a lot of nutrients. Mine are in the 2'-3' range. Prefer partial shade, but mine are just "where ever," and have done OK. Sounds like they are the perfect BOG plant!

image.jpg

Am doing some work on the pond and turtle habitat, so I just dug up a bunch, and have about 1/2 dozen more to dig up [though I'm keeping some]. If you'd like one, send me a PM.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have one, sink it every winter, nice warm nutrient rich lil pond summer, barely growing well here. They are rated down to zone 8 unless you sink the bulb over the winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ahhhh I do but I'm going away this weekend until mid December :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I planted some butterfly gingers this past summer, and they were flowering quite a bit in late August to late October. They love lots of water and rich soil. I was quite surprised that they even flowered this year since I in May, I divided the plant into many plants. Just hope they survive the winter.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
SouthernCross said:
I planted some butterfly gingers this past summer, and they were flowering quite a bit in late August to late October. They love lots of water and rich soil. I was quite surprised that they even flowered this year since I in May, I divided the plant into many plants. Just hope they survive the winter.
When I looked up the ginger lily, found that it also goes by "butterfly" as the flowers resemble butterflies. Interesting!

I'm sure they'll survive and come back in the spring. I do kinda recall that they are late at breaking the surface when they do come back. Seem to remember thinking they were goners this spring, but were just late.

What kind of lighting do you have them in? I have some in part shade and some in full sun and really can't tell a difference in how they perform.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Mmathis said:
What kind of lighting do you have them in? I have some in part shade and some in full sun and really can't tell a difference in how they perform.
I have them on the north wall of my house. In the summer, it receives full sunlight until mid afternoon. This time of year, they do not see much direct light. I make sure they are watered every day, and have plenty of fertilizer which is probably why they did so well for their first summer planted.

Ask a Question