White Goldfish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know goldfish change color. Do white comets stay white or do they change also ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Some white goldfish will pick up some orange scales down the road. White is a relatively stable color.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I got some white feeders way back when. They've actually stayed that color, maybe with a splotch of dirty yellow on a fin..... You kinda never really know what to expect. I have about 3 really pretty black comets right now, that were spawned in the pond. They're about 3 yrs old and still black (actually, very dark bronze, which looks like black). Hoping they'll stay that color, but not holding my breath.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Nyboy Not the best pic, but you can see 4 or 5 "white" GF here. They end up being more of a very, very pale, dirty yellow-ish color instead of actually white.

IMG_9410.JPG

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Mmathis do you think white more at risk from predators ?
Good question, but I can't really say. It's going to depend on HOW a predator sees a particular color. Just for fun, I played with the original shot and added some filters, etc. In almost all of them, the lighter-colored fish DID appear to stand out. BUT, what kind of vision do particular predators have? I don't have a predator problem, though (knock on wood).

IMG_9433.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your lucky you would not believe what lives here in the city. Raccoons, coyotes ,red tail hawks, feral cats and owls. Right now I have a chain link fence panel over top of pond, to keep fish safe.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your lucky you would not believe what lives here in the city. Raccoons, coyotes ,red tail hawks, feral cats and owls. Right now I have a chain link fence panel over top of pond, to keep fish safe.
We do have most of those critters in our area, including the dreaded great blue heron, but they seem to find enough food without having to bother ponds (knock on wood, again!).

Ask a Question