White lump on goldfish

Reaction score
I've noticed a small white lump on one of my goldfish earlier. Unfortunately

I cannot manage to get a picture, but I googled "white lump on goldfish" and found a pic which looks identical to this one (below) albeit 1 and not 3

Its acting normal and doesn't appear to be in any distress.

Checked my water readings

ph: 8.0
Nitrate 0
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Water temp 5degrees c

Picture440-1.jpg

Our pond is almost a year old now. and haven't had any previous problems. Still a newbie

My friend recommended "Tetra Medifin" so I went out and brought some. Haven't used yet though, I was hoping for some advice of you guys before I do anything.
Should I isolate this fish?

Reaction score
I have put him in a quaranteen tank with just a bubbler and gave a dose of Medifin.
I've been reading the instructions and it cures most things. Hope i'm going about this correctly :dunno:

Reaction score
Whatever it is, it looks painful! Hope yours gets better!

Seems to be some type of parasite, that pic is a bad example. Looks more like the pic below. This has only developed over the last couple of days. I'm guessing its down to fluctuating temps we've had recently .
He's in his own tank at the moment in the warmth of my house with a bubbler going. I'm going to hook up a mini filtration system for him tomorrow. Hopefully this "Tetra Medifin" will do its job , fingers crossed :)

430347_10151205348938408_2071545215_n.jpg

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I wouldn't worry greatly about setting up filtration. It's not going to work that well with medications anyway, A really good supply of air and raising the temps to at least 70 will help a lot. It appears to either be a Parasite cyst, or bacterial induced cyst.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
I wouldn't worry greatly about setting up filtration. It's not going to work that well with medications anyway, A really good supply of air and raising the temps to at least 70 will help a lot. It appears to either be a Parasite cyst, or bacterial induced cyst.
Could it be [color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Lymphocystis? I think my water is currently too cold for parasites. If it is [/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Lymphocystis there is no cure apparently :([/color]

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Filtration during medication is a must fish still pass ammonia through their gills and poo daily so you need something to take all this away otherwise your defeating the object .
As to the white/yellow lump it's a cyst, it could be one of a number of things Nosema, Henneguya, Dermocystidium or myxobolus ( nodular disease ) it is highly contagous and can infect the internal organs of the fish .
Its recomended that the fish is kept in isolation away from all the other fish as there is no reliable treatment for this .
It also is recomended that if the fish deteriates then you should painlessly destroy it .
Sorry to be a bearer of bad tidings.
Ive spent the best part of an afternoon researching this for you using a number of fish health books to cross refrence everything..
Your right about it being a type of Parasite in that its a microsporidian or myxosporidian type of parasite.
I wish I could have turned round and said it was fish pox but they dont have a blood supply which this clearly does it is also as described being a white/yellow cyst which this is.
It also recomends that when the fish is destroyed all asociated equipment tank etc be disinfected before you use it again.
I'd check your other fish for cysts too where did you get them from did you make the mistake of rescuing feeder fish ?

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Feeder fish are a thing I totally disagree with I think it cruel
rgrds
Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
richyd said:
Could it be Lymphocystis? I think my water is currently too cold for parasites. If it is Lymphocystis there is no cure apparently :(
You are right about that there is no cure

Reaction score
Dave 54 said:
Feeder fish are a thing I totally disagree with I think it cruel
rgrds
Dave
My pond was never intended for koi of any type Dave. It was originally stocked with goldfish, shubs, comets and orfe. My dad decided to buy the ghost koi as a surprise. They were the smallest in there and are now the largest lol. But tbh they feed the same as the others in there. Last summer I would feed them a few times a day. They would even take the sticks right out of my hands. Defiantly more intelligent than the others in there, and each have their own distinctive personality. I can't get rid of them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I lost a fish with the same white bumps.today. I think I found another one with the same type of bump. I plan on cleaning the pond this week. Plants to be removed and cleaned. I am pulling the fish out of the pond and placed in small plastic pool, so I can check each fish for bumps.

Frankly I am a little scared this could be a bad situation.

I will keep checking here to see if we can found a fix.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
As before isolate this goldfish from your others it sadly sounds however that this problem is going on a pretty fast burn through your pond.
How many more fish do you have in the pond at the moment?
It may be an idea to cut your losses, euthanize all the other fish as potential carriers of this problem empty the pond out completely then using a powerful fish diinfectant nuke everything.
Then do the same with your filter getting rid of the old filter media andreplacing it with new.
Do you have a U/V on your pond if so when was the last tim you changed the bulb ?

rgrds

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
richyd said:
I've noticed a small white lump on one of my goldfish earlier. Unfortunately I cannot manage to get a picture, but I googled "white lump on goldfish" and found a pic which looks identical to this one (below) albeit 1 and not 3Its acting normal and doesn't appear to be in any distress.Checked my water readingsph: 8.0 Nitrate 0Amonia 0Nitrite 0Water temp 5degrees c
Picture440-1.jpg
Our pond is almost a year old now. and haven't had any previous problems. Still a newbieMy friend recommended "Tetra Medifin" so I went out and brought some. Haven't used yet though, I was hoping for some advice of you guys before I do anything.Should I isolate this fish?
Checking in for a follow-up report on your fish!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Doesn't look exactly like what you posted to me on your fish, but maybe Dave can add to what he thinks on yours. I would like to know a update on what happen to this one as well.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
Doesn't look exactly like what you posted to me on your fish, but maybe Dave can add to what he thinks on yours. I would like to know a update on what happen to this one as well.
Think I oughta post it?

Ask a Question