White pond algae

Reaction score
I have a 55 gal pond that had green algae last fall. I bought a chemical that was supposed to remove it and added it to my pond. Now all the algae is white. What can I do to get this out of my pond? Will fish die if they eat it?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
mwpond said:
I have a 55 gal pond that had green algae last fall. I bought a chemical that was supposed to remove it and added it to my pond. Now all the algae is white. What can I do to get this out of my pond? Will fish die if they eat it?

green last fall, white,six months later? HMMMM, intresting. I would try and save 50% of the water, remove the filter and clean all that out! try and remove as much as possible, Refill the 55 gallon container with tap water that has been treated with declor. to aprox. 50% full, let the water come to a steady temp. same as original pond water. once it does add your original water back with filter plants etc. If you have fish and I hope it's only a few if you do be sure and keep them in the pond water thru all of this to prevent shock.

Will it kill your fish, If it hasn't now I doubt it will. why is it still there after all this time? Fishy sounding situation to me but I have seen algae treated before that turned white and died. never seen it stay that way for more than a few weeks at the most before it started regrowing or disappear.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
what was the chemical you used and can you maybe contact the manufacturer and ask them if it is normal and if it is will it harm your fish .I don't like algae killers because you never know what your getting yourself into .They all brag about there products but no matter what it either works or not and It cost good money for some of those quick fixes

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Try barley straw, i have used peroxide before and it works great for killing it. But koi do not like it.

Take some pictures if you can so we can see what it looks like, might trigger a memory from someone.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
great we just love borrowing great ideas from other peoples ponds .It really helps seeing as many ponds as you can to decide what you want and like .

Ask a Question