White Pond Liner and Thicknesses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So I have had my mind set on a 35mil Vynal UV rated Re-purposed Stadium Roof Liner that is 16x30' on this site (scroll a little more than halfway down)
http://www.billboardtarps.com/collections/tarps

I have never seen a White pond Liner in Finished Pond form before and having a hard time finding a pic on Google. Im wondering how it will look since my new pond will be a "Modern" style?
Also, I know most pond liners on here are at least 20mil that people use, but on this site they have 15-17mil listed and I was also wondering if that was a "OK" thickness for a pond as well?

Someone also told me that "Silo Cap liner" would work as they have used it as a pond liner, but... I find that hard to believe being only 3mil thick...:bored:

Just getting ideas :D

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
most use 45 mil pond liner but white liner will get covered in the good muck fish it and may look kinda ugly dirty .I just ordered my 45 mil epdm from foster and smith .Cheapest place with just over weight shipping at 7.99 .Thing that you have to think about how long the liner will last .I looked at them but decided I did not want to have to go through what I am going through now.I worry about my fish everyday with the leaking liner.

Reaction score
There are two reasons I wouldn't use a white liner. First, as sissy said, it will always look dirty. Algae will grow on it, but algae won't cover it evenly. The mottled color is not attractive. Secondly, goldfish colors often fade when they are put in a light colored environment. When I moved some fish from a black stock tank to a light gray one, within a few days the color change was very noticeable.

I just thought of another. Many fish with long fins have mostly white fins, particularly tail fins. These become invisible against a white liner. I put white sand in a pond so that some of the darker fish would be visible. As a result, the beautiful flowing tails of my comets simply disappeared. After a few months, the sand developed a greenish tinge from algae that made the tails visible, but never as dramatically so as against a black liner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks for the Input, I really want to use 45mil EPDM like I had before, It is soooo expensive though :( I will have to put Pond Plans aside for a few months. You are right, I was worried about the same thing.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
how big will your pond be as there are pvc on ebay but life expectancy is only maybe 10 years some times more if you take good care of them .But foster and smith liners are cheaper than ebay .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Jason you can try checking out the price of the same kind of EPDM liners at roofing companies in your local area or also any irrigation companies. Sometimes they might even have pieces left over that you can get for cheaper depending on the size you need.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Your young so in a couple of years you have more money you could always build another pond and buy a better liner .I started with a pvc liner and only reason I was going too take it out was because I got a good deal on a new liner and still have that liner and cut it to use it under my one waterfall tank

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hmmm I have been looking around and tried my local roofing companies but it seems no one uses that here for roofing or it's uncommon? I did find a 20'x25' 45mil EPDM on http://www.webbsonline.com/Item/Firestone-PondGard-Pond-Liner-22025 that is only $315 with shipping, still looking around though.

I don't have to have white as a liner, I actually don't want white. That was the most heavy duty liner that was listed on the first link I posted and all you could get it in was white. I will just go with 45mil EPDM now, just finding the right price is the fun part ;) A few months ago on Craigslist there was a listing for 45mil Pond Liner that was only $0.25 per square foot and custom size here in FL, but I can't seem to find it now :mad:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
go to dr foster and smith webbs you have to pay shipping and it was an extra 63 dollars for me .That is the size I got mine was 329.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you have to look at webbs small print free shipping excluded on heavy weight stuff .I asked to make sure since the price was better but when the guy from webbs e-mailed me back the shipping charges were 63 dollars I told them forget it foster and smith online only charge 7.99 for over weight

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thank you sissy! Addy, I just called them and left a message not even a couple of hours ago! LOL Hopefully they call me back

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Isn't that the stuff koiguy got and said it was extremely stiff he got lldpe​

Ask a Question