White raised scales on ogon

Reaction score
Hi All
I have an Ogon that has developed white scales along one side in certain areas. Whelooking down on the fish you can tell they are risen from the skin.
I will get some photos done in the next day or so but wanted to throw it out there to see what peoples initial thoughts are on what it may be and what treatment options there are

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
look up dropsy, I don't know much about it, but have read it causes raised scales.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Hi All
I have an Ogon that has developed white scales along one side in certain areas. Whelooking down on the fish you can tell they are risen from the skin.
I will get some photos done in the next day or so but wanted to throw it out there to see what peoples initial thoughts are on what it may be and what treatment options there are

If the eyes start to bulge out and it looks like it swallowed a ball, with scales sticking out, these are the syptoms of Dropsy. If it is, do not delay getting a hospital tank set up and antibiotics on hand. This is important to have ready, if the fish is to survive. Amoxicillin is my first choice, tetracycline also works, but makes a mess out of the water.

Reaction score
Hope you don't mind if I tag on to this thread, but, I noticed one white scale on the side of a 3lb common carp a few months back and now seems to have 5 or 6, but they don't seem to be raised, just slightly discoloured. Can't see any problems with any of the other fish, does this sound like the same problem developing.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Any similar problem is cool, in your case, I think it is an abrasion caused by an injury. If it was a disease, it would have progressed by now. A picture is good to have, both in and out of the water if possible.

Ask a Question