White residue after Cloverleaf Blanket Answer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.... I've just joined the group in search of answers. I'm retired now and have a small 400 gallon Koi pond outside with an Arbor close by so I can sit and watch them. I have a 3 tiered water feature perhaps 7 foot long cascading into the pond and a central pump which has a fountain as well. Along with this I have a small aerator driving 2 airbags so I'm fairly sure my fish are getting enough oxygen. I've got 3 Koi carp, 1 small grass carp and a small golden carp one of the young boys next door decided I needed for my pond as well !! I'm no expert at keeping fish by any means and it was the boys who drove the project. Then they grew up and the fishing hobby took a backseat over the dating hobby. So here I am trying to learn as I go. That was 6 years ago so I must be doing something right.

I noted that one member was having trouble with suspended particles in the water and thought I would share my solution as I'd had the same problem. I cut most of the legs off a pair of tights and stretch them across the waterfall. I know they are fine mesh but don't know what that's called. I jusf asked my wife to get some the same as the ones she wore. It did the job overnight and the water was crystal clear. Now I need to find out what to do about the white residue that CBW leaves all over everything. I serious case of Brown / black growth and gooey sludge particularly on the liner and couldn't determine what it was. The filter really smelt when I cleaned it and this time I noticed there were small bubbles all over the pond walls. I'm not taking any chances with my lovely koi so CBW it was as it had worked on everything before. I really hope I've done the right thing.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hello and (e-mail address removed). If you are referring to the thread you posted on, it was written 10 years ago. The person posting hasn't been around lately. Go over to introductions and since you have already told us about your pond, post some pictures!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello.... I've just joined the group in search of answers. I'm retired now and have a small 400 gallon Koi pond outside with an Arbor close by so I can sit and watch them. I have a 3 tiered water feature perhaps 7 foot long cascading into the pond and a central pump which has a fountain as well. Along with this I have a small aerator driving 2 airbags so I'm fairly sure my fish are getting enough oxygen. I've got 3 Koi carp, 1 small grass carp and a small golden carp one of the young boys next door decided I needed for my pond as well !! I'm no expert at keeping fish by any means and it was the boys who drove the project. Then they grew up and the fishing hobby took a backseat over the dating hobby. So here I am trying to learn as I go. That was 6 years ago so I must be doing something right.

I noted that one member was having trouble with suspended particles in the water and thought I would share my solution as I'd had the same problem. I cut most of the legs off a pair of tights and stretch them across the waterfall. I know they are fine mesh but don't know what that's called. I jusf asked my wife to get some the same as the ones she wore. It did the job overnight and the water was crystal clear. Now I need to find out what to do about the white residue that CBW leaves all over everything. I serious case of Brown / black growth and gooey sludge particularly on the liner and couldn't determine what it was. The filter really smelt when I cleaned it and this time I noticed there were small bubbles all over the pond walls. I'm not taking any chances with my lovely koi so CBW it was as it had worked on everything before. I really hope I've done the right thing.
I have no idea what CBW is, but unless it's not a chemical or a dechlor, I don't advocate putting it in your pond. You're going to have water quality issues with that type of fish in that small of a pond. General rule is 1000 gallons for ONE koi/carp. The gooey stuff is probably a Cyanobacteria, or some sort of beneficial algae; hard to know without decent pics. Plants and more plants are your friend. Consider changing to bog filtration; search threads here for more info.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have no idea what CBW is, but unless it's not a chemical or a dechlor, I don't advocate putting it in your pond. You're going to have water quality issues with that type of fish in that small of a pond. General rule is 1000 gallons for ONE koi/carp. The gooey stuff is probably a Cyanobacteria, or some sort of beneficial algae; hard to know without decent pics. Plants and more plants are your friend. Consider changing to bog filtration; search threads here for more info.
Totally agree as usual.
And yeah, what the heck is CBW?

While reading through this thread there must have been smoke shooting out of my ears with all that chemical talk.

It makes me angry how all these chemical companies not only empty people wallets, but do harm to the ecology of many ponds.

Too many threads start with... I added this fish safe product and all my fish died.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Totally agree as usual.
And yeah, what the heck is CBW?

While reading through this thread there must have been smoke shooting out of my ears with all that chemical talk.

It makes me angry how all these chemical companies not only empty people wallets, but do harm to the ecology of many ponds.

Too many threads start with... I added this fish safe product and all my fish died.
unfortunately and all too often, it usually comes down to money. Truth be damned.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
he told me that the 'goodbye green water' was what I needed. The treatment was cheaper than the filter media.
I'm sorry but this reminds me of when i got a ticket on vacation and i lost the ticket. i called the state trying to find out how to pay the ticket and i was advised to just wait for a default letter and that would give me everything i needed WELL that advice got me a night in jail as the default that was advised by the dmv meant a warrant went out.... i think you talking to the same jackazz that i did .
first of all you are close to having the right idea with your filter and not washing it a lot. and to do it correctly you should not wash all of them every time the bacteria that grows on them is very important and when you wash them i assume with a hose and that kills off the bacteria. You should always leave one brush or tray for the bacteria to wash off inside the filter and recolonize in the filter.
Secondly we have no idea what your pond is or how you have it set up pictures help tremendously. I have no brushes foam filters or traditional filters i rely on the BOG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I feel like that's a product we hear about exclusively from members "across the pond". The Big Pond, that is!

I tried searching for what's in it, but they only say "minerals and enzymes" but they do advise against using it if you have tadpoles, fry, or certain kinds of fish in your pond so that makes me wonder what's really in it. And by "blanket weed" I'm assuming they mean string algae, not the type we often call carpet algae which is beneficial to your pond.

They also say this "The pond water will take on a milky appearance after application this may last 4-7 days depending on the pond conditions" so maybe that's what is plaguing you @David.Addy . If you're getting repeated problems with string algae, you need to address the cause - which I will comment on in a minute.

I do like your idea of using stockings to catch fine particulants - that will work brilliantly if you have a small outlet from your waterfall to your pond. Many of us, however, have much more outflow than a pair of stockings could handle!

I do have to make note of two comments you made - the first was that you were "sure" your fish are getting enough oxygen due to your waterfall and aeration. In a 400 gallon pond with koi, all the aeration in the world won't help when those fish outgrow the pond. Which leads to your second comment, that all has been well for six years so you "must be doing something right". I'm sure you're doing many things right, but at some point those koi - *if they are indeed koi - will outgrow your pond. We hear over and over and over again "I don't know what happened - same pond, same fish for XX number of years and now disaster has struck". The factor that changes that people often overlook is that the POND stays the same size, the FILTER stays the same size, the AERATION stays the same size, but the fish grow. And eventually the tipping point is reached. I hope that won't be the case for you, but koi are just not the right choice for a 400 gallon pond. And in fact your string or blanket algae issue is probably directly related to your pond having too much bioload. The algae is stepping in when the filter is overloaded. I'd address the cause rather than the symptom.

*I say "if" not to question your knowledge of your fish, but often people use "koi" generically to refer to all pond fish. Quite often posters will correct themselves and say they meant goldfish, not koi.

Ask a Question