White spot on goldfish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
One of my three pond goldfish has an irregular shaped white spot with defined edges on its body. It doesn't appear to be scaly, just blends with its orange color. My fish are skittish so I can't get a photo before it dives for cover. From an internet search I'm thinking it might be ich. Please let me know if you've had ich or white spots on any pond goldfish and what you did. Should I remove it from my pond so it doesn't infect the other two goldfish?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Ich looks like a tiny grain of salt, and as a rule there are a LOT of them. I doubt that is the problem.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Here's a close-up with my (not so good) phone camera. Water is murky because of recent heavy rains so it hasn't had a chance to clear itself. It appears to be smooth and not raised, somewhat patchy around the edges. goldfish with white spot.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do you mean on the bottom fish in the pic? That could be carp pox. It usually looks like a waxy lump, and can be almost any shape and size. IF that’s what it is (caused by a virus), it CAN be contagious, but isn’t fatal. As long as the fish is acting normal, is eating, and seems happy, you don’t have to do anything — there is no cure. It’s mainly an aesthetic issue. Removing that fish or quarantining won’t help. Again, no cure, but not fatal. Be sure your water quality is good (check ammonia, and all that other stuff). Don’t overstock or over feed.

Ick looks like someone sprinkled salt on the fish. That is contagious and can be fatal if not treated. Always know what you are treating.

Ask a Question