White spot on koi tail

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
I just noticed this Morning that my koi in the aquarium has a single white dot on it's tail. there are only two fish in the aquarium and nothing new has been added to the tank. Can they get Ichthyophthirius if no other fish introduced it first?

I was planning to move it to the pond this week, probably should wait now I'm guessing...

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I would monitor longer, there are several things that can start out looking like what your describing. If possible get a pic, How long have they been in the holding tank? Do you already have salt in the tank? Monitor it closely and see what happens, if you start to see redness or string/cotton looking then be ready to treat as needed.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
View attachment 7426

View attachment 7427

Best I can do with a half circle aquarium the glare is odd. The spot is at the top at the front of the tail by the body. I can tell the white spot sticks out from the tail fin so it's not color. The Goldfish has been in there for about 4 years, just got the Koi in March. The spot is at the top at the front of the tail by the body.

Don't know if it makes a difference but the water quality has not been optimal lately either.

Attachments

• IMAG0217.jpg
    IMAG0217.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 904
  • IMAG0219.jpg
    IMAG0219.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 920

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
can't see it real clear but it appears to be something I have seen before. I'm not real sure what it is but it seems to be found more on long finned fish than shorter fin variety's. Once it's there it's there. it will appear almost clear at times and white at times. I'll try and post a pic of a fin on one of my goldfish that is in the tank and see if it looks similar. If that is what it is I have no clue how to treat but I can say in almost all cases it's not health threatening. I wonder if it's like a blood vessel that has clogged, or a calcium build up on one of the bony rays of the fin. If no redness, or cotton growth I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it. But keep an eye for a while, If water is good and it's been there since march I'm pretty sure your ok.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
Thanks! I will most definitely keep an eye on it. I have a feeling he will stay an aquarium koi for awhile still though.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
Just noticed Today that the white spot on the tail that was sticking out is gone and now it only looks like the fin color changed in that place.

I'm still on the fence about putting him in the pond. I would like to do it quickly because the aquarium is not staying clean. Not sure if it's overcrowded or what. There is the one koi (4 inches) IMAG0225.jpg - IMAG0226.jpg and a huge goldfish IMAG0224.jpg in 30 gallon aquarium.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've got six pretty good sized goldfish in a 30 gallon, I have to do 10% water changes twice a week to keep the nitrite down and the water clear. I'd give it at least one more week and make sure nothing shows up but I think your close to time to get it in the pond. Looks like he's pretty healthy.

Ask a Question