White spots on goldfish

Reaction score
image.jpg
Hi I bought three goldfish about 3/4 weeks ago. I noticed one of them had a white spot on its fin but thought it was just part of its markings. It has now spread and is also on the other two. Any idea what it might be and what I should do? Help greatly appreciated as I've never had goldfish before! Thanks
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
To me the bottom picture looks as though that fish has fish pox , the middle looks to have damage to its tail and the top I'm sorry but its a bad photo and I cant see because of it .
he fish in the bottom photo with fish pox will cure itself as its a temperature related virus that does you fish no harm .
Could you re-take the second photo concentrating on one the gills and two the tail area so I'd like two clear shots and a clear shot of the top one please natty :)

Dave;)

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. Just spent a very long and frustrating time trying to take some better photos of them. I've decided I've given them far too many handy places to hide (and how do you keep them still?! Grr) Didn't manage to catch the one with white on the tail. Have posted the photos I managed to get of the other below. I am taking a water sample and the pics to the aquatic centre where I got them tomorrow so hopefully that should shed some light on it too. Thanks again :)
image.jpg

image.jpg

Reaction score
This is called "white spot disease" or Ick and it is transferred from one fish to another fish. it can kill your other fish too. So, get any Ich medication and treat as soon as possible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Still not sure on this fish it definately isnt ich as Carol has posted it could be fungal but a better photo would more than probably answer that for us it could even be damage to the fishes tail and dorsal but your phot angles are keeping me guessing at the moment sorry ?

Dave

Reaction score
Hi Dave, the guy at the aquatic centre thought it was probably fungal too. The white bumps have definitely got a bit bigger so I think that might rule out it being damage? I've got a fungal/bacterial treatment that I've been putting in for the past couple of days so hopefully they will start to improve. I'll let you know how it goes!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dave, the guy at the aquatic centre thought it was probably fungal too. The white bumps have definitely got a bit bigger so I think that might rule out it being damage? I've got a fungal/bacterial treatment that I've been putting in for the past couple of days so hopefully they will start to improve. I'll let you know how it goes!
Yes thats fine go with the fungal treatment and see if this clears up if it doesnt then we'll have a bit of a re-think :)

Dave(y)

Ask a Question