White spots on my goldfish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
Malta
Need help I've started treatment but I'm sad to say 6 have already died when all is over should I change all of the water ? When can I ADD more fish ? I'm very sad

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Sounds like Ich which can be quite deadly if not caught and treated in time. Like all other fish ectoparsites, Ich is present, at some level, in the vast majority of Garden ponds. Ich, again like other fish ectoparasites, is opportunistic. This means that only weakened fish are affected. This point is proven out by the fact that the highest occurrence of Ich is during the Winter (Dec.-Feb.) months and the lowest during the Summer months (June-Aug.) when fish are at their weakest and strongest respectively.
Water Changes are not likely to really help unless a complete 100% change is performed as some portion of the parasite population will remain in the pond.
I do not know if Ich treatment is available to you locally in Malta. You can order it on-line, but it will not arrive in time to save your fish, but you will have it on hand in case it is needed in the future.
One other option is Salt. (non-iodized).
Do not add the salt directly to pond.. Instead, make up a brine solution in a separate container(s) of water water with 2 to 3 teaspoons of salt per gallon. This could involve a considerable amount of salt depending on the size of your pond. Over the next few hours, add the brine to the pond in stages, giving the fish time to acclimate to the elevated salinity.

It normally takes at least a week for this method to work, at which point you can do a series of water changes to gradually lower the salinity back down to normal.

I hope it is not too late for any of this to help.

To be on the safe side, I would wait until Spring to introduce any new fish. Since ectoparasites can not survive for extended periods of time without a host. The level of occurrence should be at its lowest come Spring.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
Malta
Sounds like Ich which can be quite deadly if not caught and treated in time. Like all other fish ectoparsites, Ich is present, at some level, in the vast majority of Garden ponds. Ich, again like other fish ectoparasites, is opportunistic. This means that only weakened fish are affected. This point is proven out by the fact that the highest occurrence of Ich is during the Winter (Dec.-Feb.) months and the lowest during the Summer months (June-Aug.) when fish are at their weakest and strongest respectively.
Water Changes are not likely to really help unless a complete 100% change is performed as some portion of the parasite population will remain in the pond.
I do not know if Ich treatment is available to you locally in Malta. You can order it on-line, but it will not arrive in time to save your fish, but you will have it on hand in case it is needed in the future.
One other option is Salt. (non-iodized).
Do not add the salt directly to pond.. Instead, make up a brine solution in a separate container(s) of water water with 2 to 3 teaspoons of salt per gallon. This could involve a considerable amount of salt depending on the size of your pond. Over the next few hours, add the brine to the pond in stages, giving the fish time to acclimate to the elevated salinity.

It normally takes at least a week for this method to work, at which point you can do a series of water changes to gradually lower the salinity back down to normal.

I hope it is not too late for any of this to help.

To be on the safe side, I would wait until Spring to introduce any new fish. Since ectoparasites can not survive for extended periods of time without a host. The level of occurrence should be at its lowest come Spring.
Hi Thx for information it's in my aquarium not pond I bought a liquid that turn s the water blue I've taken the charcoal out anything Else I should do? Thx

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi Thx for information it's in my aquarium not pond I bought a liquid that turn s the water blue I've taken the charcoal out anything Else I should do? Thx

Sounds like what you used was Potassium Permanganate. This is also a treatment for Ich. Which dosage level did (are) you use? Are you following up with repeat dosages?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
Malta
Sounds like what you used was Potassium Permanganate. This is also a treatment for Ich. Which dosage level did (are) you use? Are you following up with repeat dosages?
20 drops per 100 Litre's that s what the leaflet Say's

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I have dealt with ich before.
It's a persistent parasite that has a life cycle where you will see the parasite on the fish then one day there will be none that you can see. You must continue treatment for at least 6 - 8 weeks because the parasite will release off the fish and retreat to a substrate to breed further. The weakened fish will soon have the parasites show up again in much higher numbers.
I have found that garlic infused fish food helps prevent the parasite from attaching again from the fish's body.
Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
Malta
I have dealt with ich before.
It's a persistent parasite that has a life cycle where you will see the parasite on the fish then one day there will be none that you can see. You must continue treatment for at least 6 - 8 weeks because the parasite will release off the fish and retreat to a substrate to breed further. The weakened fish will soon have the parasites show up again in much higher numbers.
I have found that garlic infused fish food helps prevent the parasite from attaching again from the fish's body.
Hope this helps.

Yes garlic I'll try it thx a lot how much doi give them?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Yes garlic I'll try it thx a lot how much doi give them?

As much as they will eat, mixed in with their regular food.
You may have to try a few different ways to get them to eat, I found the best way was to buy some garlic concentrate made for fish food purchased from the pet store.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
Malta
As much as they will eat, mixed in with their regular food.
You may have to try a few different ways to get them to eat, I found the best way was to buy some garlic concentrate made for fish food purchased from the pet store.
I gave them garlic crushed with pellet s and they ate it

Ask a Question