White Spots

Reaction score
Hi, I recently posted a thread about a waterfall we built from tree logs and the fish were dying. We were told it was the sap in the tree poisoning the fish. We removed that and done 2 water changes since. However, the goldfish seem to have these tiny white spots mostly over their tails and it seems to be the fancy goldfish which have it most. I can only really see it on their tail, and it's a bunch of tiny white spots. We have 2 yellow koi about 3 inches long and I cannot see any of these white spots on them. What is this on the goldfish and how can I get rid of it?

I do have a picture of it, i'm not sure how clear the picture is. I will have a look and upload when I have time.

Reaction score
Read this educational thread (https://www.gardenpondforum.com/3-common-white-spot-diseases-koi-and-goldfish-t4576.html) I posted last year about various common white spot diseases. Without a photo and from what you're describing it sounds like it could be Ich.

There are many Ich removal meds on the market. I like QuICK Cure the best. It's simply malachite green. It will turn your water blue/green for a few days and then that fades away. It will turn your hands blue or any clothes it splashes on blue too, so be carefuly handling the stuff and use gloves.

If you have a photo, please do post it.

Reaction score
I have attached 3 photos I took earlier. They aren't very clear but it was the best I could get earlier, it's now raining. We have 2 orange goldfish, 2 goldfish which are white with red patches (fancy goldfish?), and 2 smaller goldfish. The fancy goldfish and 2 smaller goldfish are the only ones I can see it on.

Attachments

• IMG00267-20100608-2026.jpg
    IMG00267-20100608-2026.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG00268-20100608-2027.jpg
    IMG00268-20100608-2027.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG00269-20100608-2027.jpg
    IMG00269-20100608-2027.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 488
Reaction score
Can't exactly see it, but from the 2nd photo it looks like that tell-tale sprinking of salt look of Ich. You will see remedies in that thread I posted above. QuICK Cure is going to be your fastest bet.

Reaction score
oi! Pretty much most products meant for ick will work. It's the most common fish disease. But I am seeing forums in the UK chatting about Quick Cure, so it has to be available somewhere...

But again, any good Ich med for ponds will work.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
koikeepr said:
oi! Pretty much most products meant for ick will work. It's the most common fish disease. But I am seeing forums in the UK chatting about Quick Cure, so it has to be available somewhere...

But again, any good Ich med for ponds will work.

opps wrong again ...im just going to stick to reading posts as i never seem to get anything right :)

Reaction score
LOL! I think QuICK Cure is global. LOL! It's been around for eons...but nontheless, any good ich cure product will work if that's what it is.

Reaction score
I'm going to get the following product on Saturday as this is when I have time to get it. They have had these white spots for around a week now, will they be ok on Saturday to treat still? Also, I posted this thread the other day and someone suggested using pond salt. Will this still be required? The fish have been fine so far, when the sap was in the water they all slowed down, I could get near them without them swimming off quickly. It's just this white spot I have found on them now.

White Spot Treatment

Ask a Question