Who has the oldest koi or goldfish on GPF

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well our oldest koi will soon be turning 29 years of age this month, who knows shes perhaps more age wise dependant on the amount of time he spent first at the breeders then at the dealers .
Shes had her worst scrapes both in the past surviving through them all and then more recently when our pond was struck by lightening this year.
As such she is a little off shape in that she has a slight bend to the right head wise and to the left tail wise but shes a tough old girl which we hope to have around for years to come...
So it got me thinking many newbies to our hobby have no idea about how long our fish will live to be officially goldfish can live to be 40+ years.
Koi however are much longer lived than their cousin the goldfish and can live 80+ in years, even longer in the case of Hanaku who lived the best part of 227 years and was around 25 years before the sining of Independance in America
So I thought about creating a thread that will reflect this longevity of our fish a little competition if you wish, just to give the newbies to the hobby pause for thought when they buy their first koi or goldfish.
So I though we'd have a little exersize here that reflects this question of longevity.....
So just how old is your oldest koi or goldfish ours is 29+ we also havea number of other koi aged 20, 15,12, 10, 5, and our youngest 1
We dont own any goldfish but as a child my goldfish lived to be 10

Dave

Last edited:

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Both of these, a comet and a shubunkin, are going on 11 years old:

one commet - 2005, musketeer.jpg

one Shubunkin, 2005.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are babies.............no competition with age

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It shows the love and attention to your fish that they are all long lived its no mean feet getting a fish through its first few years.
Our 29 year old has allowed for my mistakes survived the worst and is still with us .
Thanx to her we got interested in fish health issues , its the love and attention she recieved that won us many prizes at both koi and FBAS shows.
We retired her early due to bleeds during traveling and since then shes been the fish the rest of our koi follow .
She helped us be nominnated for the 2009, so shes been with us on an adventure through life

Dave

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Big Mama has had her share of troubles that we have learned from including not to use fishing line to anchor floating planters. She got wrapped up in it one year and it left a cut completely around her. Currently she has a tumor on her side ( not sure if it is from a spawning injury) but as she is a bottom dweller and will not go near a net, I have been monitoring her and she seems to not be affected. I would hate to loose her as she has taught me so much about koi!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Well our oldest koi will soon be turning 29 years of age this month, who knows shes perhaps more age wise dependant on the amount of time he spent first at the breeders then at the dealers .
Shes had her worst scrapes both in the past surviving through them all and then more recently when our pond was struck by lightening this year.
As such she is a little off shape in that she has a slight bend to the right head wise and to the left tail wise but shes a tough old girl which we hope to have around for years to come...
So it got me thinking many newbies to our hobby have no idea about how long our fish will live to be officially goldfish can live to be 40+ years.
Koi however are much longer lived than their cousin the goldfish and can live 80+ in years, even longer in the case of Hanaku who lived the best part of 227 years and was around 25 years before the sining of Independance in America
So I thought about creating a thread that will reflect this longevity of our fish a little competition if you wish, just to give the newbies to the hobby pause for thought when they buy their first koi or goldfish.
So I though we'd have a little exersize here that reflects this question of longevity.....
So just how old is your oldest koi or goldfish ours is 29+ we also havea number of other koi aged 20, 15,12, 10, 5, and our youngest 1
We dont own any goldfish but as a child my goldfish lived to be 10

Dave
wheres the pic dave , its funy ur fish is older then me

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@Usman They can get as old as 80+ years my friend but the oldest ever recorded koi was Hanako who was a fry 25 years before the signing of independance in America and lived until 1978 [with providence] and was bred and raised in Japan .
Hows that for longevity Usman :cool:

dandv01.jpg

dandv02.jpg

dandv03.jpg

Above you can see Browntop in his old indoor home where he lived in a huge Aquarium for 22 years and this will be his eight year outdoors [Hes the koi on the right of the tank in both photos].
Some of the other koi that are slightly younger have been with us 25 years whilst our youngest is only 2 years old and is a really nice asagi.
I got to ask this Usman :LOL: just how many years older is he than you ?
The last shot shows the tank dressed up for my 50th birthday party, next yearI will be 60 :happy:

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Thanx, This is amazing , she must b like ur child, i was looking at pics for few mins , so that orange one and it lived in this aquarium but now in a pond nice , so do u keep rotating fishes in aquarium? Some red black very nice young showa? I cant see asagi , i cant find good asagi here and yet to si goshiki , hi utsuri , ki utsuri , they might b coming im not sure but im unlucky must b selling quickly , are these rare at ur place too? Since when ur into fishes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Thanx, This is amazing , she must b like ur child, i was looking at pics for few mins , so that orange one and it lived in this aquarium but now in a pond nice , so do u keep rotating fishes in aquarium? Some red black very nice young showa? I cant see asagi , i cant find good asagi here and yet to si goshiki , hi utsuri , ki utsuri , they might b coming im not sure but im unlucky must b selling quickly , are these rare at ur place too? Since when ur into fishes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
No they went into the pond for my health @Usman I had a bad bike smash back in the 1980's that has left me getting progressively worse with more than 8 operations and chronic Osteo Arthritis along with Fibromyalgia all over my body along with Ostio arthritis of my wrists left and right thumbs shoulders so as you can see I had to stop with the Aquarium because it simply took me too long to clean .
Even after 22 years we managed to get a good price for the tank at £600.00 UKP we originally bought it for £793.00UKP so it didnt depreciate much and is now a huge reef tank .
With the pond all I really have to do is a 40% waterchange each time which involves pulling and pushing valves then add back the water .
add water then the time it takes to top back up is my own time spent resting thus I'm not in as much pain .
Interestingly our pond is a former koi dealership QT pond at 1,000 Imperial gallons with the mother of all filter system which we ought from a dealership who owner had a broken back mended with a metal frame who was emigrating to Australia because of his own pain issues .
We paid £600.00UKP for it then paid for the build with a £1,000.00UKPLocal Hospice Lottery win [now if that isnt good Karma to carry on I dont know] but we seem to have been fated to carry on in the hobby at the same time I felt like quiting we were also Nominated for the Koi Magazines Koi Hall of Fame by a former Plymouth Koi club member who now lectures in fish studies and is a koi expert [this gave me the boost to keep on going].
See attached photo :-

davevalhof.jpg

That my friend is a potted history of my koi keeping life

Dave

Ask a Question