Who is biting off my lily pads?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi. I have a 3500 gallon pond that I inherited. Last year I had 2 water lillies in it, 2 young koi, and a bunch of small goldfish. All thrived and I had no problems with my lillies. This year a koi died (death by cat) so i added 2 new small koi, 6 new goldfish, and a turtle. Also 2 more water lillies. Well something keeps snipping off my lily pads! They're not eating them. I just find a couple pads floating in the pond each day, snipped off a few inches below the top. Is it the turtle? The koi? The goldfish? I'm feeding them 3x a day to discourage this, but it seems to be for sport anyway. Any ideas? Anything I can do? I thought of those tomato plant cages. It would keep out a turtle or big koi at least. Thoughts?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have water lilies with a 12" koi and large goldfish and have had no problems. Maybe the turtle?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would say the turtle is the culprit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a is probably average winter, but I've seen it -24F here once in 30 years, and -10 to -15 at times
Country
United States
Your turtle is trying to tell you it wants a salad at every meal. What kind of turtle do you have?

Your

Ask a Question