Who is guilty? May experts help me.

Reaction score
I have butterfly female and a standard fin male, from which I spawn twice so far, both times with disastrous result. From 3000 fries only 400 were healthy, and the rest had some kinds of deformity. Considering parents are without deformity, can the catastrophic outcome be due to mating a butterfly and a standard koi? I'm really in a dire situation. I attached pictures of parents for your judgment. please help me with your insightful suggestion.

Attachments

• DSCF1640.JPG
    DSCF1640.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 356
  • DSCF1641.JPG
    DSCF1641.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 375

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mine intermate and healthy when I give them away .I have koi and butterfly and fancy tail and regular gold fish .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
in what water temp are you raising your fry? the warmer the water the quicker they grow but the more prone they are to physical maladies.genetics can play a role. do you have another male to try a spawn with?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Good looking koi , Could just be bad genes on one side

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
No way to tell easy
Let them spawn again this year and see how it works out
May be the conditions weren't right the first time

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Ten out of ten for some lovely koi including the buterfly, opps thats me drummed out of the British Koi Keepers Society (we dont recognise Butterfly koi as of yet ) :censored: no I think they are beautiful but its a US thing at the moment.
Joking aside they are coming from a 26 year veteran of koi keeping.two very nice looking koi .
It could be one of many factors that are resulting in these deformities
1) Food
Perhaps you could augment their diet a little in the summer with some more natural foods as well as pellet (buy an AKCA guide to koi Nutrition), $3.00 AKCA website then try again it may well be they were lacking something
2) Water Conditions
No one has of yet asked you your water perameters Ammonia , nitrite, nitrate, Ph, Kh, Gh did you do something differnt this time to last time everything factors in .
3) Age
It may be that these koi are not yet fully mature this being their first and second spawnings (what size are they), they normally say 10" is the right size to start breeding
I can see no problem with breeding a long fin with a short fin the resulting fry will be a mix but to get deformities like that doesnt sound right it .
4) Differing male koi
I would add another male the next time you breed then see what happens if you get the same result then it has to be a problem with the female
5) Genetic problems
Something Val and I know only too well. Val having Facioscapularhumeral Muscular Dystrophy (we decided against children simply because it wouldnt be fair on any child born with MD ), so its the same in nature ..
It could well be that your fish may look perfect but genetically they are not thus the resulting in the deformities.
It is no secret and is well known that koi only a small gene pool to work from resulting in thngs like the Immune system being deficent, deformaties etc ( I've lost a koi to its immune system crashing ) .
So as you can see you have more than a few things to get right before you get the results that your after , however best of luck with your next spawning ,

Dave

Reaction score
Thanks Dave for your all encompassing answer.
I think I should first of all replace my male, then feed my female well, though I fed her with standard pellet. You are right on the size of them. The female is about 16" and it was her second breeding. The water condition is the only thing that I took for granted.
best wishes

Ask a Question