Whoa, Nellie!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Oh my gosh, you guys! I stopped work on the pond right before Thanksgiving. I have totally messed up my elbow, and we had all sorts of stuff going on for the holidays. I was placing waterfall rocks, but hadn't finished nor had I foamed anything in place. We covered with a tarp and put a ladder standing in the bottom to sort of "tent" the tarp and make the rain run off the sides.

We had a big thunderstorm with lots of wind. I was surprised the tarp stayed in place. There were tornadoes nearby, and the heavy rain was crazy. At some point, the ladder fell over.

Today, we went out to uncover the pond to set the ladder back up before the next round of heavy rain tomorrow.

The ladder hadn't fallen. It was FLOATING. Y'all, I was worried about not being allowed to fill my pond, due to water restrictions from the severe drought. The pond is dang near full. Egads! I don't know if the water ran down from the ground and into the pond or if it just all leaked through some of the holes in the tarp. I haven't done my grading around the sides yet to keep water out, but even at that, the way the rocks and liner are, I'm not thinking it was ground run off. We will just have to watch and see when we get this next big bunch of rain.

CRAZY!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Where are you located bagsmom?
In Georgia, where we've been in severe drought. Just recently, the Governor laid out some water use restrictions. The heavy rain is great, but they said we'd need 20 inches to be out of the drought.

This will sure help all the trees and other plants as we head into winter! It will be quite interesting to continue work on the pond while it's full!!!!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If the water looks clean then it is not run off .You can use a clear glass to look at that and only problem you may have is what is on the bottom .I would consider this to be good if you wanted to fill it and it is done on the inside .Free fill up is nice .You can filter the water with a pump and running the hose into a crate of quilt batting

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I wasn't at all ready for this. More work to do that will be sort of tricky with a full pond.

On the other, as you said -- free water! I wasn't sure if I'd be able to fill the pond at all, given the recent water use criteria put in place.

So I guess I'll go with the philosophy that the glass (I mean the pond) is half full! ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Terinb

Latest Threads