Who's idea was it to start garage sales on week days?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gemma, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Gemma

Gemma

Going to garage sales used to be one of my favorite thing to do, back when most sale's opening day was on a Saturday, now they all seem to start on Thursday or Friday and by Saturday, which is the only time I could go, they're either closed or on their last day meaning nothing good is left
    Is it the same where you live?

Gemma, Oct 23, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Gemma

Stephen T.

We are starting to see quite a few starting on Thursday, especially those run by Estate Sale professionals. Seeing as we make a large part of our living as "Pickers" of antiques and collectables, this doesn't bother us in the least! Some of the sales are less crowded at opening, only 10-30 people in line and you can actually move, once in the house or garage. Estate sales starting on Saturday are are real pain, at opening, they are so crowded that one is pretty much trapped in the flow of people. Stopping to look through a shelf of books is next to impossible!

Most yard and garage sales in this area do start on Friday, some on Saturday also.

Stephen T., Oct 23, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Gemma

j.w I Love my Goldies

Yep same here but we are retired so can go whenever :smuggrin:

j.w, Oct 23, 2017
    Stephen T. likes this.
  4. Gemma

Gemma

I work Mon-Fri otherwise I wouldn't have an issue with them starting before the weekend

Gemma, Oct 23, 2017
  5. Gemma

Stephen T.

We are semi-retired but have been self employed most our lives and will never be able to afford to fully retire. It's a good thing we love treasure hunting!

Stephen T., Oct 23, 2017
    j.w and Gemma like this.
  6. Gemma

Gemma

if my calculations are right, I'll be able to retire by the age of.... 97 smlaughing2.gif

Gemma, Oct 23, 2017
    HARO, MoonShadows, addy1 and 2 others like this.
  7. Gemma

JBtheExplorer Native Gardener

For as long as I've been alive, it's always been Fridays and Saturdays. Rummage sales take a lot of work to set up so I can't imagine anyone would set it up for just one day, and Sunday doesn't seem to be a popular rummage day for some reason.

JBtheExplorer, Oct 24, 2017
  8. Gemma

Gemma

Here where I live most sales used to run on weekends, there were a few that opened on a Friday but that was an exception now most sales start on a Thursday and they are done by Saturday morning

Gemma, Oct 24, 2017
  9. Gemma

Lisak1

Personally I’m happy they are over before the weekend. Our neighborhood is dangerous to travel through on garage sale days with cars slamming on brakes, doors flying open, people abandoning cars in the middle of the street to scamper down sidewalks and driveways for a quick peek - the worst! *disclaimer - not a garage sale aficionado!

Our neighbor across the street had a full time garage sale going on when she first moved in. She just never put stuff away and her garage was always her “store”. The HOA finally had to get the village to enforce the two sales a year code. It was a real hassle in a small neighborhood.

Lisak1, Oct 24, 2017
    CometKeith and Gemma like this.
  10. Gemma

Gemma

I understand, it would bother me too!

Gemma, Oct 24, 2017
  11. Gemma

MoonShadows The Jam Man

hey, that's 2 years before me! :rolleyes:

MoonShadows, Oct 24, 2017
    HARO and Gemma like this.
  12. Gemma

CometKeith

Most of the ones in our area start Friday or Saturday. We have done a few garage sales ourselves and Sundays were always really slow. I have met some of the most interesting people at garage sales!
    Gemma/Moonshadows re: retire I think that means work when you want to and not when you have to. I guess I'm about 5 years away from that.

CometKeith, Oct 26, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  13. Gemma

Gemma

I could never hold my own garage sale,even if I could find the time I wouldn't have enough to sell!
    I tent to pitch stuff I don't need, I don't like storing junk, I don't like clutter spaces not even the garage..I clean and throw away/give away anything I wouldn't miss, I must suffer from some kind of "3 letters" disorder smlaughing4.gif

Gemma, Oct 27, 2017
    HARO likes this.
  14. Gemma

ZEROPILOT Faster than you are.

We have the THUNDERBIRD SWAP SHOP close by.
    It's gigantic and it's every day. With the busiest days being Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.
    I've found SO much cool stuff there over the years. It takes hours to walk the whole outside part. The inside areas are mostly retail shops and food. I don't usually go inside.
    As for selling...I can't stand dealing with idiots I find on Craigslist. So twice a year I clean out my garage and I load up all of the booty on a makeshift table out by the street. Very quickly it all disappears. Table and all.

ZEROPILOT, Oct 27, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  15. Gemma

j.w I Love my Goldies

I give it all away and be done w/it. Did garage sales in the past. Too much trouble and they want everything for a penny...................oh my just like me :LOL:

j.w, Oct 27, 2017
  16. Gemma

HARO Pondcrastinator

Before I "retired", I had one job. Now that I'm "retired", I have TWO jobs! And the pay is nowhere NEAR as good. :( But I can pretty well pick my hours, so I guess its not ALL bad. :D
    John

HARO, Oct 27, 2017
    Gemma, j.w and MoonShadows like this.
  17. Gemma

MoonShadows The Jam Man

I hear you @HARO, I feel like I woke harder now that I am retired than when I had a "real" job.

MoonShadows, Oct 27, 2017
    Gemma and HARO like this.
  18. Gemma

HARO Pondcrastinator

Went from a union shop to running the water gardening section of a garden center, then an elderly couple asked me to look after their garden, keeping it pruned and such. No more union. No more hearing "It's not MY ******* job!" :)
    John

HARO, Oct 27, 2017
    addy1, Gemma and MoonShadows like this.
  19. Gemma

Lisak1

I'm with you @j.w - my neighborhood does an annual garage sale and my older-than-me next door neighbors started to participate the last two years. They were thrilled to make $250. But when I pointed out that was $225 for his riding lawn mower (that he could have sold in ten minutes on craigslist) and $25 for the rest of the stuff they spent four days selling, the weren't so excited. Just not my thing.

Lisak1, Oct 27, 2017
    ZEROPILOT, HARO, Gemma and 2 others like this.
  20. Gemma

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I don't want all those strangers coming to our house, we are sort of hidden in a neighborhood. Can't even really see our house. With hubbies car collection sitting around it is better no one sees them.

addy1, Oct 28, 2017
    ZEROPILOT, j.w, HARO and 1 other person like this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question