Who's idea was it to start garage sales on week days?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Going to garage sales used to be one of my favorite thing to do, back when most sale's opening day was on a Saturday, now they all seem to start on Thursday or Friday and by Saturday, which is the only time I could go, they're either closed or on their last day meaning nothing good is left
Is it the same where you live?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
We are starting to see quite a few starting on Thursday, especially those run by Estate Sale professionals. Seeing as we make a large part of our living as "Pickers" of antiques and collectables, this doesn't bother us in the least! Some of the sales are less crowded at opening, only 10-30 people in line and you can actually move, once in the house or garage. Estate sales starting on Saturday are are real pain, at opening, they are so crowded that one is pretty much trapped in the flow of people. Stopping to look through a shelf of books is next to impossible!

Most yard and garage sales in this area do start on Friday, some on Saturday also.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I work Mon-Fri otherwise I wouldn't have an issue with them starting before the weekend

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
if my calculations are right, I'll be able to retire by the age of.... 97
smlaughing2.gif

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Going to garage sales used to be one of my favorite thing to do, back when most sale's opening day was on a Saturday, now they all seem to start on Thursday or Friday and by Saturday,
Is it the same where you live?

For as long as I've been alive, it's always been Fridays and Saturdays. Rummage sales take a lot of work to set up so I can't imagine anyone would set it up for just one day, and Sunday doesn't seem to be a popular rummage day for some reason.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
For as long as I've been alive, it's always been Fridays and Saturdays. Rummage sales take a lot of work to set up so I can't imagine anyone would set it up for just one day, and Sunday doesn't seem to be a popular rummage day for some reason.
Here where I live most sales used to run on weekends, there were a few that opened on a Friday but that was an exception now most sales start on a Thursday and they are done by Saturday morning

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Personally I’m happy they are over before the weekend. Our neighborhood is dangerous to travel through on garage sale days with cars slamming on brakes, doors flying open, people abandoning cars in the middle of the street to scamper down sidewalks and driveways for a quick peek - the worst! *disclaimer - not a garage sale aficionado!

Our neighbor across the street had a full time garage sale going on when she first moved in. She just never put stuff away and her garage was always her “store”. The HOA finally had to get the village to enforce the two sales a year code. It was a real hassle in a small neighborhood.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Personally I’m happy they are over before the weekend. Our neighborhood is dangerous to travel through on garage sale days with cars slamming on brakes, doors flying open, people abandoning cars in the middle of the street to scamper down sidewalks and driveways for a quick peek - the worst! *disclaimer - not a garage sale aficionado!

Our neighbor across the street had a full time garage sale going on when she first moved in. She just never put stuff away and her garage was always her “store”. The HOA finally had to get the village to enforce the two sales a year code. It was a real hassle in a small neighborhood.
I understand, it would bother me too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Most of the ones in our area start Friday or Saturday. We have done a few garage sales ourselves and Sundays were always really slow. I have met some of the most interesting people at garage sales!
Gemma/Moonshadows re: retire I think that means work when you want to and not when you have to. I guess I'm about 5 years away from that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Most of the ones in our area start Friday or Saturday. We have done a few garage sales ourselves and Sundays were always really slow. I have met some of the most interesting people at garage sales!
Gemma/Moonshadows re: retire I think that means work when you want to and not when you have to. I guess I'm about 5 years away from that.
I could never hold my own garage sale,even if I could find the time I wouldn't have enough to sell!
I tent to pitch stuff I don't need, I don't like storing junk, I don't like clutter spaces not even the garage..I clean and throw away/give away anything I wouldn't miss, I must suffer from some kind of "3 letters" disorder
smlaughing4.gif

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
We have the THUNDERBIRD SWAP SHOP close by.
It's gigantic and it's every day. With the busiest days being Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.
I've found SO much cool stuff there over the years. It takes hours to walk the whole outside part. The inside areas are mostly retail shops and food. I don't usually go inside.
As for selling...I can't stand dealing with idiots I find on Craigslist. So twice a year I clean out my garage and I load up all of the booty on a makeshift table out by the street. Very quickly it all disappears. Table and all.

Ask a Question