why are my goldfish dying in my pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had 10 fish in my garden pond for months and today 5 of them have died for no obvious reason

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Billy, welcome to our pond forum. I'm sorry about the loss of your fish. Can you tell us a little about your pond, so we can better help you?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! So sorry to hear about your fish. You must be devastated to lose that many at one time -- I know i would be!

As Tula mentioned, we need a little more information about your pond. There are so many things that can happen, and most of the time it's a combination of factors. Please answer as many of the questions as you can, and with that information it will be much easier for us to help you and your remaining fish.

• how big is your pond? [dimensions, depth, gallons/liters]
  • how long has it been up & running?
  • do you check your water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, etc.?
  • what is the temperature where you are, and is the pond in full sun, shade...?
  • have you recently done anything different/has there been a lot of rain or run-off from your yard?
  • how big are your fish & how much do you feed them?
  • what kind of pump & filter system do you have, and do you have areation via an air pump?
  • before the deaths, did you notice anything different in their habits or behavior? were they swimming different or acting distressed like they wanted out of the pond?
  • do you have any local predators [animals, birds, snakes, turtles -- all can be a problem]
@Dave 54 might also be able to give local advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Billy, Sorry to hear about your fish. Sometimes when there is no obvious reason it can be caused by the lack of dissolved O2. Were the fish discovered in the morning? This is when dissolved oxygen is usually at it's lowest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Billy welcome to the forum from a rather sunny Plymouth :happy: how long have you been keeping now, weve been at it now for 28 years and still love the hobby the same as when when we first started .
If we are to help you we need you to tell us a bit a bout your pond so that we can get some idea of whats gone wrong , good clear photo's of the problem oflen help us do this

Dave

Ask a Question