Why are my goldfish sluggish?

Reaction score
Pond is about 2000 gallons 12" -30" deep, 18' diameter. I have about 30 goldfish 2" to 4". Usually they go crazy when I sprinkle food on the water surface. My water level was down about two inches so I decided to add water. I put the hose in and forgot it overnight. So the pond overflowed.
When I fed the fish the next day, they basically ignored the food. Why? I am thinking that either there was a chlorine shock because of the fresh water added or simply the temperature of the water dropped and slowed the fish's metabolism down. Any thoughts?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Did you treat the water the next day? if not it could well be the chlorine

Reaction score
Well I lost 3 fish, but the others seems to be responding ok to feeding. A lesson learned. I am going to run the pump full time for a while to gas off the chlorine. Usually I cycle the pump and waterfalls about 1 hour on, 2 hours off throughout the day.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mcgiiver said:
Well I lost 3 fish, but the others seems to be responding ok to feeding. A lesson learned. I am going to run the pump full time for a while to gas off the chlorine. Usually I cycle the pump and waterfalls about 1 hour on, 2 hours off throughout the day.

Water spraying in the air gets rid of chlorine, your waterfall will help alot. When trying to cool my pool in arizona, it used a lot more chlorine when I ran the sprayer, esp during the day.

Glad your fish are hanging in there.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust atomizing the water to remove all the chlorine. Don't let your fish be the test subjects, use a test kit.
I use dechlor and that guarantees good water.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DrDave said:
I wouldn't trust atomizing the water to remove all the chlorine. Don't let your fish be the test subjects, use a test kit.
I use dechlor and that guarantees good water.

I was just suggesting it to help out, not as a substitute for dechlor, since he was going to run the pump more to help remove the chlorine.

Reaction score
well like the first guy said the chlorine is not good for them but 2in shouldnt make much of a difference. What the fresh water does is it knocks them out and puts them in a daze which will make them not eat or they may act stupid kinda like a human when they are drunk lool. But hey im only 13 so i dont know what drunk feels like BUT i do know ponds.....
:lol:~marino~:lol:

Ask a Question