Why are pond plants so dang expensive?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Depending on where you buy them, of course.....

I recently sorted a ton of anacharis from the bottom of the pond — mainly dividing, trimming off the dead ends, and pulling off string algae. Hubby was wondering why I was going through the effort and I told him that I had probably several hundred dollars worth of plants — if I was going to replace what I have. Went back and “priced” them.....and I wasn’t far off. Just now I came across “lizard tail” for sale — as much as $18 for 2 plants! I have 2 places in the yard where these have naturalized (accidentally) over the past couple of years — enough plants that I could make big $$$$!

So, if [most] pond plants are so prolific and easy to grow.....WHY do they retail for such high prices?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
because they usually get them before they start to grow .Like here 5 dollars for 1 water hyacinth and mine have been growing for 3 months now from my basement hold overs .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know but if you ne3d to get rid of some let me know lol :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Specialty product is my guess. Plus they have a short window to make money. Personally I think many nurseries are way overpriced. Although I will frequently see the same plants being sold it two different parts of our favorite nursery - the pond section and the regular section - for two different prices. Corkscrew rush comes to mind. So I always scout out both places.

Sounds like you need to start yourself a little pond plant business there @Mmathis !

brc

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
My guess is that not many people have water gardens, compared to the number of people with regular gardens. So, compared to regular gardening supplies (not just plants, but anything at all that's pond-specific), the water garden items are lower volume / higher dollar.

It's not just water plants though. For example, I'm into bamboo, so I go shopping for various species / varieties of the stuff. For a plant that grows so fast that people lose control of it and it takes over their yard, a 5 gallon sized one still costs like $70.. and it's another $35 for shipping, because nobody local carries it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
For bamboo we usually just grab a few shoots from a low spot, and plant it. I've taken to using purely native species for my bog plants in the pond, They are mostly grasses, but there is a variety down at the spring.
So I dig them up, and plant them in the pond. As to floating plants, like lettuce and hiacynth (sp?) I get 2 or 3, and in a week or so I have 6 or 7, and they add up exponentially. This winter I plan to keep some in the warm, untill next spring. Water lilies are about $3 each, plus $8 shipping. I have two right now, but will be getting some more inna week or so.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So anyone able to recommend places on line to buy plants? Sure I'd like to support the local pond stores, but not at $10-20 a plant

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So anyone able to recommend places on line to buy plants? Sure I'd like to support the local pond stores, but not at $10-20 a plant
Don’t use Amazon! Their prices are inflated, even with Prime! I just placed an order with William Tricker, and have had good luck with them in the past. Pondmegastore has been reliable, but sometimes pricey, and their inventory/selection can be disappointing at times. I like places that have fast shipping, especially as warmer temps start.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Give these folks a go:
wetlandplantsinc.com

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
didn't think to check Craigslist, there many options near me, think I'll go that route first

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Become friendly with people with natural ponds. I have large supply of native wetland plants free to anyone in Hudson valley who wishes to dig up. Every week I bring a large bucket of duckweed back to city house. My goldfish love it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sarah and I go by the motto.....share alot and get a little......this mainly applies to our terrestrial gardens......when we have a excess of something we share with friends......in return we usually always get a little something different from what we have .....which in turns grows and then the cycle goes again......as far as the pond.....being a second year Ponder......we had a Tough learning curve on the fish.....but the plants in the pond are Awesome and it's not even June yet already thinking about thinning......the fish that we have left are doing great.....Learned the lesson "Less Fish Means Better Fish"......Jimmy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Seems like many get over ambitious and over plant. Going to start slow and add 2-3 new varieties this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You meet the nicest ponders. First on Friday I picked up some comets from someone in Edison, $20 for 7 three inchers and one larger. Then today someone near where I mountain bike gave me a ton of plants including lilies, lotus and irises. They were planning to cover up the pond but after many stopping by and commenting how nice their pond was they decided to keep it.
IMG_20180526_105359.jpg

IMG_20180526_113053.jpg

Ask a Question