Why are they doing this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
This is the first time i saw them do this. They are under a waterfall.

Attachments

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
Could be they just like the feel of the water coming down on them or it could be a sign of a lack of oxygen in the water. Mine play in the falls off and on but don't hang there forever. If they never leave it then there could be a problem but if just now and then I wouldn't worry.

Reaction score
Country
Do you see them gulping at the surface? How many fish (and size) do you have and what size pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
About 24 gold fish in a 650 Gal pond. I have 3 waterfalls and an aerator. Water conditions are good.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
My fish, like j.w's, love playing around the waterfall, but as she said they don't stay there forever. Though certain fish of mine do linger around it often some days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
I sometimes think it is just for something to do. I have one pump that pumps water into the pond under water. I sometimes watch the fish swim into the flow and it shoots them across the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
I decided to check the water conditions today. It seems to be ok. Water temps are 55 Deg. They are always hungry. I did notice 2 of them swimming then turning slightly sideways for a second and keep on swimming??

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
As stated above, there are lots of reasons for them to hang around waterfalls. It would be a good idea to rule out a dissolved oxygen deficiency. I see you are in Georgia. Augusta, Georgia has a excellent pond and water garden society that might be able to assist with testing your water. You can always purchase a tester but a pond society can also assist in many other ways too.

Reaction score
Country
It may be me but looks like your ammonia level is starting to go back up again.
I just pulled your picture up on a bigger (better) screen and agree, the color looks greenish/yellow. Ammonia needs to be zero. I think Mitch mentioned what to do regarding this so I won't repeat. I still think you have too many fish for that size pond regardless of the cycling issue.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
But your graph shows a check mark next to a safe nitrite test that is why I was not concerned. No worries, let's deal with the ammonia for now. Also, can you rehome some of the fish?

Reaction score
Country
How many should i keep??
I'm probably going to take some heat for this answer but suggest about a maximum of four goldfish in a well-filtered, 650 gallon pond. I always error on the side of caution and consider what is most humane for the fish. Given the pond is still cycling, I recommend finding another home for most of them. In my opinion, nature will reduce the population if you don't and the fish will suffer. I can't tell how big all of your fish are except from one image, two of them look like they might be about 5-inches long, There are so many factors (and opinions) in determining the best number of fish but here are just a few: surface area, temperature, filtration, size of the fish (very important), how much they are fed and reproduction etc. And, it depends on the level of effort you are willing to make. Really, I think four goldfish will be very happy in your pond and you won't have a high maintenance situation. Besides, ponds are supposed to be pleasure not drudgery :).
Stephen

Reaction score
Really, I think four goldfish will be very happy in your pond and you won't have a high maintenance situation.
I think that's good advice - however, those four will soon become 40. So get an ongoing re-homing plan in place. (Unless you somehow manage to only keep all of one sex that is!)

Ask a Question