Why are they doing this?

Reaction score
Country
United States
But your graph shows a check mark next to a safe nitrite test that is why I was not concerned. No worries, let's deal with the ammonia for now. Also, can you rehome some of the fish?

Reaction score
Country
United States
How many should i keep??
I'm probably going to take some heat for this answer but suggest about a maximum of four goldfish in a well-filtered, 650 gallon pond. I always error on the side of caution and consider what is most humane for the fish. Given the pond is still cycling, I recommend finding another home for most of them. In my opinion, nature will reduce the population if you don't and the fish will suffer. I can't tell how big all of your fish are except from one image, two of them look like they might be about 5-inches long, There are so many factors (and opinions) in determining the best number of fish but here are just a few: surface area, temperature, filtration, size of the fish (very important), how much they are fed and reproduction etc. And, it depends on the level of effort you are willing to make. Really, I think four goldfish will be very happy in your pond and you won't have a high maintenance situation. Besides, ponds are supposed to be pleasure not drudgery :).
Stephen

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Really, I think four goldfish will be very happy in your pond and you won't have a high maintenance situation.

I think that's good advice - however, those four will soon become 40. So get an ongoing re-homing plan in place. (Unless you somehow manage to only keep all of one sex that is!)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
This is the first time i saw them do this. They are under a waterfall.

I just saw this post. 2 thing are quite important when it comes to testing. They would be the kH & nitrite more so than the nitrate. Ammonia does look like it could be .50, not zero if the color in the pic is correct.

Re: the fish swimming in the falls ... My koi are 14"- 26" ... a few of them do this all the time. They swimming right directly toward the falls in front of it but never reaching it. I believe it's the current. I'd get the ammonia down and figure out why it's up but it's not ammonia doing that. I'd say if they're not gasping at the top, they're just having fun.

Agreed, that too much of a fish load for 650 gallons. Again, maybe I missed it but I don't know what the filtration you have is. I'm filtering for approximately 6000 gallons and only have 2000. With all do respect @Stephen Noble but no heat ... lol ... just thing 4 goldfish @ 5" isn't much. Again, must have missed his filtration parameters but years back in a 650 gallon pond, I had 9 koi. It was good for years and then I upped the filtration system. I currently have 10 koi in 2000 gallons, but again, I've got triple overkill on my filtration.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
A good rule of thumb is (1) gal./inch of fish.

That would give him 650 inches. No can do ... Wrong thumb! lol ... I think you left out a zero ... 10" to 100 gallons ... correct me if I'm wrong.

I have about 200 in 2000 gallons but again, filtration plays a big part.

Reaction score
That would give him 650 inches. No can do ... Wrong thumb! lol ... I think you left out a zero ... 10" to 100 gallons ... correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you 10 gal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The pond has 3 filters with a total 9000 gal of filtration. All 3 discharge into 3 waterfalls. I also have 3 bubblers and plenty of plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The pond has 3 filters with a total 9000 gal of filtration. All 3 discharge into 3 waterfalls. I also have 3 bubblers and plenty of plants.

Wow - Are any pressurized with external pumps? I'm surprised any ammonia shows up. That's 10 times the filtrations you need.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I just added this.
s-l1600.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Some say there is more maintenance when there is too many fish Ii the pond. Please define what kind of maintenance?

Ask a Question