Why can't I get my pond water clear!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It is 3,500 gallon outdoor pond with filter, skimmer box, uv light, and aerator. There are 8 koi and/or goldfish (largest is 12" and smallest is 7" along with 3" baby just discovered), frogs, aggressive toads, recently added three 4" plecos hoping they will munch on the algae, and a lotus plant. One of the fantails is presenting with multiple small lumps all over its body. I posted another thread about this issue several weeks back. All of the fish are eating and behaving normally from what I can tell. I feed them a handful of Hikari medium-size floating type pellets once or twice a day. I do a 30% water change once per week.

View attachment 93268 View attachment 93269 View attachment 93270 View attachment 93271 View attachment 93272 View attachment 93273 View attachment 93274 View attachment 93275 View attachment 93276 View attachment 93277 View attachment 93279 View attachment 93280 View attachment 93281
Green water is common in newer ponds (which I am assuming this is new-ish?) and although it is unsightly it is perfectly safe for the fish. In fact they enjoy it because it provides shade (fish NEED a retreat from all that direct sunlight). How many hours of sun does the pond get? The green water is natures way of correcting a problem so we kinda have to be thankful for it. Problem here would be too much sun, excess nutrients and/or immature pond/water.

Do you have a bottom drain? Did you intend on having plants IN the pond or were you adding them to help with algae? Have you tested the water? Why do you do a 30% water change weekly, is there something wrong with you test results or is that just from backwashing your filter?

I'm curious what you goals are with this pond? Lots of plants and wildlife? If so, I'd say get rid of the UV light and add tons of plants of course. Crystal clear practically sterile water and a few large koi? Then I'd suggest a bottom drain (if you don't have one and it is hard to add one now so at least a retro bottom drain) and adding nearly complete shade with shade sails or umbrellas or whatever.

Fantails and pleco may not overwinter in your zone. I agree with removing the plecos for sure cause the algae they are eating is just being replaced by the green water algae like Meyer said. And they have a high bio-load which just adds to the algae problem.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What are examples of some marginal plants? Is this the same as bog plants?

A lot of the same plants that are used in bogs can be used as marginal plants. I have found yellow flag iris and blue flag iris do really well at taking the extra nutrients out of the pond. There is also dwarf cattail, rushes, different grasses, to name a few. People have used plastic crates to build shelves. I used some large rocks to build shelves. I also was able to plant some iris bare root among the stone along the side. Looking at your pond I am not sure that would work. Here are some examples on how I made shelves for the marginal plants.

iris.JPG

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
What about AlgaeFix just for a short term solution. I'm having out of town guest in a week and would like to be able to show off my pond.

AlgaeFix is better at targeting the bigger, tougher algae such as string algae. However, read instructions carefully. You will also need extra aeration; so, if you don't have an air pump and stones for extra aeration, then look into getting it and they're good to have just for emergencies as well.

For an easier, safer quick fix... problem solved in around 4 days...

....use a UV device and get an extra dedicated water pump that specifically is used for when you use the UV device. Be sure the water pump is flow rated for the UV device... If water flow is too fast, then UV device will be much less effective by not actually killing the floating green algae as it goes through the UV; if water flow is too slow, then the algae can reproduce faster than you are killing it.

...The dedicated water pump makes plumbing much easier and you have a better idea of the flow rate actually going into the UV device...

...when done with the UV device (once pond is cleared), then store it and the pump...

...you do not actually have to run the UV device 24/7, every single day, to be effective at controlling floating green water algae...

...plus, good to have an extra water pump for emergency...

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@PinKoiPam , and... from taking a better look at your pictures...

...appears you already have a UV device...

...You shouldn't be having this green water algae if your UV device is properly working...

...check with the manufacturer on proper servicing of the UV device to get the UV device back to properly operating.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
IMHO using algae-fix or any other chemical remedy because you are due visitors and want the pond to look good is no good for your fish's health. It may be a short term solution but as pointed out it will cause other problems and at some point in the very near future the old problem will rear it's ugly head again. You need to fix the root cause of the problem first, not use a temporary treatment. Sounds like new pond syndrome to me, so patience, plants and shade are needed.

keyplayer

Worst Winter yet...
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Canada
IMHO, your UV is killing off all the BENEFICIAL BACTERIA needed to NATURALLY clear the water (and, BTW keep your plants an fish properly nourished. I've used natural filtration in my series of ponds for 6 years and here's a pic of crystal clear water. UV and industrial chemicals can't compete with Mother Nature! I rest my case.

keyplayer

Worst Winter yet...
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Canada
Can't figure out this forum's über-contorted ultra-complex system for posting PIX. Sorry!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, I just returned from vacation. Surprisingly the water is now pretty clear...or ...as clear as I've ever seen it. But now all 8 fish are acting sort of strange. They are all huddled near the bottom and not coming up to eat when I feed them like they normally do. :( They dart and dash around for a few seconds, then huddle together at the bottom again. Very strange. I don't know if they've always done this and I just wasn't able to see them or if something is wrong.

Ask a Question