Why do all my water lillies die?

Reaction score
I have a 3000 gallon koi pond that is in partial shade and part sun, I have over the last year tried to grow water lillies in the sunny part that is in full sun all day,, but over time the plants rarely flower and eventually the leaves rot and fall off,,, the root system appears to be thriving,,,, any help would be appreciated thank you,,, we live in No Calif where the average temp is 80s in the summer and 50-60 in the winter,,,,,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have a 4500 gallon koi pond and this year added a 2700 gal goldfish pond. My lilies are all planted in shallow wide round pots filled with kitty litter, the unscented type (not the scoopable, just the plain clay type.) I cut off 3.5 gal. buckets and use the bottom 5" of them. Lilies require a lot of fertilizer, so I've learned on here to add granular fertilizer when I repotted this past spring, at the rate of 1/2 cup each pot. I was told to find the highest middle number fertilizer. In other words, 10-10-10 is general fertilizer, you need more like 10-35-10 for more blooms. Lilies like that type. I add fertilizer during the year by using either plant tabs, or use the granular fertilizer can be used, just wrap it in a piece of paper towel, then shove it into the clay.
My lilies are doing fine in both ponds, but I wanted to point out that the tropicals I added a month ago to my koi pond are not blooming. I think the koi are nipping off the buds when they emerge. I just looked this morning, 2 buds on the King of Siam, so I will be watching closely. The koi may also be eating your stems and leaves! Mine don't, but then I have a bunch of lilies in the koi pond, so may not notice. Goldfish don't bother them at all that I've noticed. Both of my ponds have pretty much full sun over the whole ponds.
Good luck figuring out your problem! I had water hyacinths that would not grow in either pond, in a netted cage or not, but grow great in a pot filled with water. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put mine in kitty litter, (walmart pure clay, cheap) dump osmocote in the bottom of the oil pan (walmart) dump in the clay, stick in the lily, put it in the pond, full sun and they grow and bloom

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
How big are the Koi, Some koi will destroy lilies. Any thing protecting the new growth?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
awwwwwwww koi missed that part. I just have goldfish

Ask a Question