Why do people not listen ? Especially to a Vet!

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Just read an email from my lady friend who works for petsmart talking about some idiot who bought fancy goldfish and an aquarium and then threw them in a pond.... Then wanted a refund when they did not survive for the 15 days guaranteed even though they admited to going against the advice not to put em in a pond... This day keeps getting stranger... I need a vacation... I'm going back to London for 2 weeks again lol maybe I will get knighted

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I always look to what other people have in there ponds and what makes it and what doesn't .I bought all my fish from a local koi farm and paid nno more than 6 dollars a piece .Did I tell everyone I am cheap .:)I also barter and beg :ROFLMAO:

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
PetSmart associates are a far cry from a vet. I'm a bit confused...why was this person led to believe they couldn't add fancy goldfish to a pond????
The vet was in the Banfield hospital and why they should no go I have no idea but thats what this person was told. And they did die so ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Unless the vet has some prior knowledge that we don't know... such as the water parameters of this individual's pond being unsafe, there would be no reason to give that advice. Fancy goldfish can live very well in a pond. Most of my fish in my pond (that are 8+ yrs old) are Fancies (Ryukin, Oranda, Moors, etc). I just didn't want false information shared. It is completely safe to put fancies in a pond, and those PetSmart fish didn't die simply because they were "thrown into a pond".

Reaction score
Just read an email from my lady friend who works for petsmart talking about some idiot who bought fancy goldfish and an aquarium and then threw them in a pond.... Then wanted a refund when they did not survive for the 15 days guaranteed even though they admited to going against the advice not to put em in a pond... This day keeps getting stranger... I need a vacation... I'm going back to London for 2 weeks again lol maybe I will get knighted
I'm not clear, did this person throw the the aquarium in the pond too, or just the goldfish? And how far did they throw them exactly?

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I'm not clear, did this person throw the the aquarium in the pond too, or just the goldfish? And how far did they throw them exactly?
Not sure... I wasn't there... Why is hyperbole not recognizable on this thread?? LOL

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Unless the vet has some prior knowledge that we don't know... such as the water parameters of this individual's pond being unsafe, there would be no reason to give that advice. Fancy goldfish can live very well in a pond. Most of my fish in my pond (that are 8+ yrs old) are Fancies (Ryukin, Oranda, Moors, etc). I just didn't want false information shared. It is completely safe to put fancies in a pond, and those PetSmart fish didn't die simply because they were "thrown into a pond".

One factor we might be over-looking [well, maybe a couple of factors....]...... We live in a warmer climate [Louisiana] where the fancies have a better chance of surviving in all seasons [if you call them "seasons" down here]. Fancies are known to be less hardy. And another potential problem is that some people will mix & match their fish -- fancies have a more difficult time competing for food, and they [depending on which ones] are more prone to injury.

So I would say that if a pond owner wanted a pond full of fancies, there's probably not an issue with it as long as they are aware that these fish have specific needs. If they're not cold-hardy, then they'd need to have alternate housing for winter. If they are a type prone to injury, then it would be important to remove any sharp or rough objects from the pond, etc.

What it sounds like is the person just threw their fish in the pond and they probably didn't know anything about fish-keeping to begin with. So, any fish they bought probably would have died.

Reaction score
Country
United States
All good points Maggie

The other thing that came to my mind was that they should have been put through a quarantine period before being put in the pond. Much easier to observe and make sure they are healthy as well as cheaper to medicate if necessary.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Well... There is nothing more to be said here... You guys and gals knocked this one out

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Very few veterinarians are qualified in fish health.
Agreed Meyer they are very thin on the ground in the UK , the BKKS has in place highly trained health officials who look after different areas of the UK, tending to members problems or if lucky as we were in section as well
Then there are the fish professinals who are Fish Consultants but thats about it for the UK

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Agreed Meyer they are very thin on the ground in the UK , the BKKS has in place highly trained health officials who look after different areas of the UK, tending to members problems or if lucky as we were in section as well
Then there are the fish professinals who are Fish Consultants but thats about it for the UK

Dave
And [without actually checking into this.....] I would venture to say that in the US, unless you find a vet whose hobby and love is fish, most of your "icthy" vets ae going to be located closer to areas that have large aquariums or zoos.

Ask a Question