Why does my barley bale keep sinking?

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
It stayed afloat for a few months. Now it's sinking. I take it out to dry and put it back in, and eventually it sinks to the bottom of the pond. It also smells like sulfur.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have no expeience with barley bales, but I would think that after a while they would naturally become water-logged and sink. If it's a large bale [and I have no idea how they are sold.....], and dense, then there could be limited water circulation getting to the middle parts, causing anaerobic activity.

Maybe you could start over with new barley, fluff it out, and put it in a mesh bag.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Barley bales, to have a chance of being effective (I have doubts) must be placed in moving water. Just placing them randomly in a pond serves no beneficial purpose and may actually cause water quality issues. After all, it is organic and will decompose.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Barley bales, to have a chance of being effective (I have doubts) must be placed in moving water. Just placing them randomly in a pond serves no beneficial purpose and may actually cause water quality issues. After all, it is organic and will decompose.
Regardless, I think the OP specifically wants to know why his is sinking & stinking.... I think that for barley to be effective [and I'm with you regarding efficacy], it's supposed to slowly decompose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I think that the barley bale has become totally sodden by water and will now slowly decompose releasing the enzymes etc that kill algae thus clearing your pond

Dave

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Barley... If possible get your hands on a UV-Sterilizer and then sit back and enjoy your pond while it does its thing. I tried barley but to me it was witchcraft at best and a scam at worst and did nothing. I use UV and even have a small militia of turtles in the ponds and my water remains crystal clear
11231264_925271060842446_8118940009525092988_n.jpg

Ask a Question